Plumbing and heat ducts

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Aug 23, 2006.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

OUr utility room is separated from our living space by an area of
    uninsulated space. The plumbing and ductwork needs to cross about
    25 feet of open barn area.
    Is there any reason we can't encase the water pipes in the heater duct
    to get them across that area? :shrug:
    (Codes being a non issue)

2. The Paw

The Paw Well-Known Member

It is probably simpler to box in your heating duct and pipes in the same insulated chase. Heat radiating off the ducts should keep the pipes warm.

If you run the pipes in the ducts, you will probably have air leakage problems, as the pipes have to enter and exit the ducts at some point, and the ducts will usually expand and contract, making a good seal difficult. There might also be condensation issues inside your ducts, and if you spring a leak in your pipes, it will be a pain to get at and repair.

3. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Any chance you can replan your layout? Have the utility room against the outside of the living space? Plumbing you can bury in the ground...maybe consider a mini-split a/c and heat pump just for that room?

4. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

The best way is to heat trace and then insulate the pipes with All Service Jacket (ASJ) stick-on Fiberglass insulation.

• 25' won't cost that much,
    • less trouble than the duct idea,
    • can get at it if leaks,
    • much better and simpler,
    • highly recommend doing this correctly (not that I haven't gone to extreme measures to create a new idea, which I shouldn't have -- in retrospect)

Good Luck,

Alex

P.S. If you are concerned about water or humidity in the barn, then use a sealed plastic jacket on the insulation, or as suggested bury -- check for corrosive soil -- then use plastic pipe below grade (also, then you may not need the heat trace.)

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Thanks for replies.
    This is for a temporary circumstance. The uninsulated portion of the barn will eventually become part of the living space, but we needed a quick and cheap way to tie the 2 areas together for this winter and maybe next.
    It seemed like a good way to solve the problem without having to buy or build anything extra.

Condensation does seem to be the main concern.

(I can't use the ready-made foam pipe insulation. The odor is too strong and lasts for years. It's too bad because it would've been a great solution. I remember reading about someone who recycled old styrofoam coffee cups
    for that purpose, but we don't really have a source for them. )