Plumbing advice Needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paramount, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Paramount

Paramount Well-Known Member

Help! Advice needed

When we opened our cottage this past week, we had no problems with the water coming to kitchen sink or the toilet. However water to the shower and bathroom sink has slowed from full force to droplets. I thought it might have been the tap strainer in the sink and cleaned it. Full of sediment but nothing happened to improve it.
    I think the lines may be plugged with sediment as we have a lot of iron in the water there but at a loss at how to improve the situation. We've never had the lines plug or whatever in over 50 years but there is always a first time.
    Now, we don't know what we should do to solve the problem.
    Is there something we can do on our own or do we need a plumber???
    Thanks for any advice....

2. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Had the same problem a couple of years ago at our lake house. If it is the hot water side only, the problem is probably sediment in the water heater. If not, there may just be sediment in the lines. Try turning on and off all faucets repeatedly for a second or two at a time. For hot water, turn off the cold water inlet into water heater and drain, then reopen and flush. Sometimes just building up pressure at the tank, then repeatedly turning on and off different faucets will blow out the sediment. Cold water lines just skip the heater part. Repeat over and over a couple of dozen times - pressure might go back up.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Remove the shower head and check it for clogs, it can be soaked in solvent if need be. Check the pressure when it is off its mount.

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

Is it possible that your lines froze this past winter? I've noticed when that happens in the past, when they thaw out that there is a lot of rust and scale that comes down the lines.

Our own water is gravity flow from a creek, so I have annual problems with sediment. I fix mine by attaching a nitrogen tank with a regulator and back-blowing the lines a couple times. I've used the same method to un-clog interior piping.