plowing with an 8n

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by .netDude, Jun 17, 2005.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Will an 8n pull a three bottom plow, or is 2 about all I should try?
    Thanks -Greg

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    8n's are light duty machines, try it with one set shallow to see what your rig will handle. What size plow are we talking about?

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

A 3 bottom plow would probably be impossible with an 8N unless it was pure sand. My 8N with a 2- 12 struggles in my garden that has been turned and tilled for years. If the tractor was in tip top shape and you had a Sherman transmission to reduce ground speed a 2 bottom would be no problem.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A three bottom plow does not describe the load very well. My Kverneland 3/16 would anchor it soundly, the little 10 inch plows that they came with, properly leveled, and with the draft set to turn 3inches or so and with the plow in good "clean" shape would not be a problem. Plow too deep with a rusty plow and well beyond the available hp for the amount of sod you're trying to flip and no it won't. A rusty plow is a lot harder to pull than a clean shiney one, and seized coulters will suck HP too. Run it off level (from the hitch) and again you need mroe hp. And realize my modern 3furrow 16 inch plow flips 48 inches of sod and digs deeper than the old Ford plows were ever made to run. The little old Ford/Ferguson 3/10 (3 furrow 10 inch) only turns 30 inches of sod and runs a lot shallower; 25 hp should pull that easily.