Plotting out the garden on computer program

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jenn, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

To avoid reinventing the wheel, anyone have a makeshift program for garden planning like which seeds/plants where what month?

I am going to try a matrix on spreadsheet with x= month and y= area in my garden... guess y will have to be a compression or else just list square feet location (code meaning it all) and then list plant and " below for as long as wanted... I've only got about 200 sq ft so far so not too big a spreadsheet

2. Jenn

As usual I want a third dimension visible on the two dimensions of my screen! Think I will have one sheet of garden NOW and set each cell to = the contents of that named 'sq ft' (y axis or rows) at the time (x axis or columns) defined in later sheets, maybe one sheet per bed to be neat...

3. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know if this will help anyone, but check out the "garden journal" on homesteadharvest.com. print it and save to hard drive?

4. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I use a spread sheet to keep track of my garden , it works well.
    my spread sheet has 1 row of spaces for each row of plants.
    I also have some plants in colors to represent seasons. green - spring blue is summer and orange is fall.
    I don't do square foot gardening, instead my garden is planted with 3 to 7 rows per 4 foot wide bed. I find this easier to thin and weed plants.

5. Jenn

OK so you use one (spreadsheet) row for each (garden) row and the columns are the seasons or months? Or do you just overwrite as you replant? Do you keep it over the years to help you rotate or?

I think I will do that (row in spreadsheet with columns being months or seasons) for each sqft but that will be a little bulky... use it with plenty of " marks since usually have crops over several sqft, just don't want to forget I can go from 9 sqft of lettuce to 3 of spinach and 6 of carrots etc. Yeah, what do you do if you plant more than one crop in a particular row?

Thanks Squash nut!

6. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I made up a map of the garden, each bed had a block for each square foot. Then I added columns to beds that have more rows in them.
    I don't square foot garden, I grow entire rows of the same thing, with the rows from 6 inches to 12 inches apart in the bed. The square foot garden plants came out stunted and it made it too hard to thin , especially the root crops.
    I used to fill in the entire row of block on my garden map with the the name of the veggie. Now I just put the name in the row once. So that at the top of the bed is the spring crop. the next block has the summer crop and lastly the fall crop. By using different colors for spring summer and fall I don't have to type over previously planted items.
    If I do split the row in to two crops like half a row of raddish with some thing else then it is put in the block where the split is and typed in the correct color. If I plant the row alternating lettuce with brocolli , I use the first 2 blocks of typing for the spring crop , typed in green.
    I suppose you could in addition to the name of the plant put how many you'll need to filli in the row like " 6 broccolli"
    I did my garden plan with 3 different pages for spring summer /fall the first 2 years and found it too confusing.
    How you do your garden plan will depend on how big your garden is , The smaller the garden the more split rows there would be to get the variety in.
    Hope this doesn't confuse you. I think simpler is better, though.