Plolyface Farm Field Day w/Joel Salatin

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by EasyDay, May 16, 2005.

1. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

It sounds like this would be VERY worthwhile to attend, if you like Joel's ideas. It's $75 for the day, which includes lunch. Location is at Joel's farm near Staunton, VA.

The Field Day will be Sat, July 23rd and the schedule looks like this (briefly):

6-7:30: Early-Bird Chore Time
    7:30-9:00: Registration, coffee & donuts (official start time)
    9-12 noon: Farm Tour to include Pastured Broilers, Salad Bar Beef, Eggmobiles, Fethernet, Pastured Turkeys, Pastured Rabbit, Pastured Pork, and Along the Way... Water, Keylines, and Fencing
    12 noon - 1:30: Lunch, all grown to order.
    BBQ pastured chicken, pigaerator pork & salad bar beef
    Sliced tomatoes and cucumbers
    Chocolate buttermilk cake
    Iced tea & lemonade
    (Sounds YUMMY!)
    1:30-2:30: Hay Shed & Pigaerator Composting
    2:30-3:15 Raken house (rabbits above chickens, etc.)
    2:30-3:30 Relationship Marketing
    3:30-4:30 Blackberries, Chick Brooding, and Hoophouse (official end time)
    4:30-6:00 Stay late for evening chores and more hands on learning

No charts and graphs or academic theories at this. "This is a family day to see, handle and taste what works, what is true, and what is real. It's a celebration of opportunities. Bring the children."

If you need more info, I can tell you more from the flyer thingy.
    DH says it's too expensive, but I think the knowledge gained would be priceless!

Edited to add specific costs: $75 for those 21+, $50 for ages 15-20, and under 15 free. Also, if you need info on nearby accomodations, let me know.

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I heard about this. I'm really bummed out that I can't make it.

3. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Seems expensive.

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Depends on the value of the information you expect to gain. Joel is the originator of the pastured poultry model and is a highly sought-after speaker on any grass-based farming system.

If you learn something from that $75 that saves or makes you thousands of dollars down the road, then that's a pretty good investment.

5. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

That's the way I was looking at it. Spend $75 to eventually earn much more through his knowledge. However, I've read all of his books... it comes down to the hands on. I mean, if I don't hear/see anything that isn't in his books, then I waste $75. But, seems the "hands on" and seeing his farm in person could enlighten me to maybe the way I perceived it through my reading.

DH still says it's too much money.

I still want to go! I never feel like I know enough about things I really like. But then, I'm a learning fanatic.

6. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

I would much rather go to polyface than a Six Flags theme park.

I love watching and taking care of my chickens, I like working in my garden and I'm having a blast building a new chicken house with my husband.

$75 is a lot of money, a person should spend it on what he or she values. As for me, I value knowledge and learning and real life!

Someone tell Joe I said hi! (Not that he knows me of course! :)

7. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

I got the flyer and Dh and I are planning on attending. It will be the first day of our 25th anniversay trip. Then we are planning on traveling thru the deep South for the rest of the week. His farm is only 1-2 hours away from our farm in WV. We are raising pasture fed beef and think there will be alot there for us to learn.

Laura Lynn

8. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

EasyDay,

I've seen Joel speak 2 or 3 times and even if he's covering items in his books you're going to feel it was worth seeing him. He's extremely enthusiastic and my wife (who doesn't read any farm books) really enjoyed hearing him.

My experience of seeing him was at a Country Living Field Day in Ohio where all he could do was talk. I imagine the experience of being at his farm and having him show you around would be even better.

I think it would be well worth the cost. I'm thinking of going and taking the family

Ed

9. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I suspect Joel is somewhat limiting crowd size by the high cost. If you are going to spend $75 then you really want to be there. If he made it, say $25, there might be a thousand or more to contend with.

At one time there was a farm (Malabar Farm) made famous by the writing of Louis Bromfield. It is now a state park near Manchester, OH. They, along with Progressive Farmer magazine as I recall, sponsored a free field day at one time. Something like 6,000 people showed up. Cars lined the roads for literally miles. Groceries sold out of readily edible foods. A bit of a disaster.

If you go make sure you have good directions as I understand it is a bit hard to find on the back county roads.

10. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

I agree with you! That's my line of thinking, and that's what I'd expect to find at Polyface.

11. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Thanks for the positive statement. (I'm sure Joel thanks you, too!) I'll pass your opinion onto DH. I think we're going.. dh just doesn't know it yet! :p

12. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Thanks, Ken. There are, what seem to be, explicit directions in the flyer... but for those of us who still may get turned around, he said they'll have signs posted on where to turn. Of course, you have to be able to make it to where the signs start!

13. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I'm going, and I know it will be worth every penny spent to me. I am going because I am very intrigued by elegant solutions to problems. His whole farm is that. I am also impressed by people who come up with the elegant solutions.

I will be raising some chickens and rabbits, and look forward to talking with Daniel.

I hope I can meet any posters from here that will be in attendance. We will have to make up some sort of common identifyer so we can find each other.

I never go to movies, or out to dinner. I seriously doubt (unless I won last night's powerball) that I will ever again live on a farm. I am working our small (2ac) suburban backyard to the extent of my energy. I will be going as much for entertainment as anything. I fully expect to learn at least one thing that will pay for the trip.

14. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I'll be there! I'm fairly new to this forum so I hope I get a chance to meet some of you in person.

Beaux

15. Ken Scharabok

ID suggestion. Just wear a map pin where it can be plainly seen.

16. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Ken, my first thought was: "Map of Virginia or map of Pennsylvania?" Then, I thought this may be a description of a pin--Would you please further describe it? Thank you

Will you be there? Didn't you used to hold field days on your property?

17. Ken Scharabok

A map pin is just a pin with a round head used to stick into a map to pinpoint a spot. Normally a pack comes in a variety of colors.

No, I will not attend. I have held some day events at my farm the 4th of July weekend, but not just defer to the Hardys in IN. For those not familiar with this event it is on the Hardy's property near Christmas, IN (east of Evansville). Haven't heard the official dates yet. Good sized attendance with volunteer demonstrations. Carla Emery was there last year. I also did a blacksmithing demonstration. This year I will do blacksmithing a bit different in that I will bring a small propane forge and downsized tools. Anyone who wants to can make at least two S-hook plant hangers, one for themselves and one for Ynonne Hardy.

This is a very family oriented event with some of the best behaved kids I have seen in a long time.

For further information you can send them an e-mail to poorfarmclan@hotmail.com, but it may take a copy of weeks to get a reply as they have to access the equipment at the library. You can also send a SASE to them at RR1, Box 211, Gentryville, IN 47537 for details. The latter is recommended as the event is rapidly approaching.

If you are at all interested in using a portable sawmill, Robert Hardy has one set-up and it is a real cash cow for them.

Ken Scharabok