Plexiglass

Discussion in 'Crafting' started by Jeffery, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Jeffery

Jeffery Well-Known Member

I make make wooden whirlygigs such as birds. But the thin plywood I use for the wings breaks very easily. I wonder if plexiglass would work. Can plexiglass be cut and sanded and painted like wood?

[​IMG]

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I wonder about aluminium or sheet metal?

3. Fishindude

Fishindude Well-Known Member Supporter

Plexiglass is a pain to cut, snaps and breaks irregularly very easily.
    I recently purchased some 1/4" thick white plastic material in 2' x 4' sheets from Home Depot for a project. It looks like that same white "plastic wood trim" material you see used for exterior moldings, etc. It was very economical +/- $20 per sheet and cut and sands very nicely, plus takes paint well. Sorry I don't remember the product name.

4. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

A neighbor friend of mine was in the sign business. I needed to borrow his flat bed, tandem axle trailer. I wanted to haul a car 300 miles back to my house. I was going to Grand Rapids, MI. Timing was perfect, he needed two sheets of plexaglas from Grand Rapids. He said I could borrow his trailer, if I'd haul the plexaglas to him. He said the sheets are 6 feet wide and 12 feet long. I didn't see any way I could fit the car and the plexaglas sheets on that trailer. He instructed me to simply lay the sheets on the wood deck of the trailer and then drive the car on top of them. The plexaglas has a craft paper backing and the tires won't scratch it. So, I did it. I added cardboard strips to where the car tires rolled over it, just incase. No problem. I did this between Christmas and New Years. I was afraid it would be broken in a hundred pieces. Not one crack.

They sell shelving material that is PVC, that cuts like wood. Also other plastic shelving that you might want to check out, too.

dsmythe likes this.
  5. IMFoghorn

IMFoghorn Well-Known Member

There is a product called Lexan that looks like plexiglass but can be sawed and drilled. It does scratch easily.

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

My Mom made whirrly gigs and sold them in the summer. Dad would make her remove all of them when he mowed.

She made a gig for her band saw and would cut out a wing from regular 3/4 inch stock, put them in her jig to hold them and get 3 or 4 wings from the one thick one. the trick was getting them turned and mounted in the small block properly.

I still have one out back that is 20 some years old a peggus, the flying horse. Don't think there is any paint left on the thing.

Mom had two favorites and sold a bunch of them. A old woman beating a old man, and the old fellow sawing wood.

:D Al