Please tell meif I am doing the right things

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Please, experienced and knowledgeable goat people, tell me if I am handling a few situations correctly.

#1 One of my month old baby LaManchas has some diarrhea that is not from a change in diet, also hunching over a little as if cramping. I started her on Sulmet 12.5%, undiluted, at a loading dose of 1 ml. per 5lbs. of weight, once a day (should it be twice a day???) decreasing for the next four days to 1 ml. per 10 lbs. of weight. Did I do right?

#2 It has been just too cold in my barn since the temps dipped below zero. Even with tarps on the kidding pen and 3 heat lamps going 24/7, the babies are just getting too shivery.
    We got one of those sealed oil heaters. Put it into a rabbit cage on some cinderblocks so the cage won't tip over. If it tips over it goes off, supposed to be very safe. I am waiting to see if this brings it up to a safer temp for the babies. Did I do right?

Please advise!

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I had a goat with the same symptoms. If you don't treat her for coccidocces(sp) you will losse her. Once they start the hunching over they have it pretty bad. If at all possible I would take a fecal float to the vet, they will give her a oral medication. We treat for it with Chord as long as they arn't that far along, "when we notice the diarreha and no change in anything", once we treated with just the chorid and we lost the guy. I only go to the vet when it is that far along.
    I think you are doing what you can for the babies. Do you have a garage you can put them in along with mom? I am a firm believer that they have to learn to regulate their own body temp, but when it is that cold it is really hard for the older ones. Try getting a dog sweater for them, I have done that before, it will help a lot more then you would think.
    Let us know how they are doing. Good Luck.

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Thanks Sweet Goats. I have 10 baby goats, I'd like to avoid the dog sweaters if I can. But I will get them if I must. When I had my first baby Nigerian Dwarf, we had a cold snap (this was in late October) and she got hypothermic. Although she was 4 weeks old, she only weighted 5 lbs. because of her breed. We cut a sleeve off of one of my dd's old 2T sweatshirts and made her a sweater with that. Cute as can be and it worked. We also cut the drafts, tarped and added a heat lamp. Now she is a tubby thing and the cold doesn't bother her, although I don't think she weighs much above 10 lbs.
    I am waiting to see if the sealed oil heater does the trick. the temps are supposed to be going up about 15 to 20 degrees in a day or so as well, which they tolerate that temp well.
    I read on a very informative post on this forum that the Sulmet at the dosage I am using is very effective for cocci, which is why I am trying it.

OKAY!
    I now have a THIRD question!
    One of the babies that was disbudded 2 weeks ago is bleeding from the horn site. The burnt horn button came off, and there is a bloody circle there. Not bleeding profusely, just bloody. I am going to spray it with Granulex because that is all I have on hand.
    Does anyone have a better suggestion? Is this normal? Is this something that happens all the time, once in a while, or hardly ever?
    HELP!!!

4. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

The blood looking horn bud is normal-- I love blue coat. If it bleeds a lot use blood stop of flour from the kitchen.

You are treating right for cocci- I give a large does- then give 1cc per 15lbs. of sulmet. if they do not improve in the 5 days I use SMZ from the vet. just another sulfer drug. buy a medicated goat feed that helps too. you may choose the just treat every kid. If they are not having the runs just give a 3 day treatment.

We use old shirts- cut off the sleeves and then cut leg holes. We make on big slit for the two front legs. for boys we make like a top cape, short under neath- girls get a coat longer type,. Fleeze shirt work great or old joggin pants. I save all year long then if they get dirty you can just make a new one.

I am afraid of heat lamps and heaters in the barn. On a warm day I would try to wean them off that.. they should be able to tolerate the cold if there is no breeze. We turn a old box over and cut a door, or a plastic tub turned over. just make sure there is enought room for all-- so they do not pile.

You sound like you are doing great!!

Liz
    Teacup Farm

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reassurance about the bloody horn spot. I sprayed it with the Granulex because that is all I have. I will get Blue Kote when I go out later today.
    I am treating them all. It sure is easier giving them the Sulmet by mouth than it was when I had to give a few of them penicillin IM.
    The heater is doing a great job at warming the air in the kidding stall.
    I too am afraid of heating lamps and heaters in the barn. But it has been just so bitter. It has been down to 15 below zero. I finally broke down and got a heating lamp for the chickens because the rooster's comb got a little frostbite the otehr night. The water in the kidding stall does not freeze when it is 10 degrees or over outside, but it has been freezing the past few days. Even though it was noticeably warmer in the kidding stall than the rest of the barn, they were still all shivery and I am afraid they might be getting respiratory sickness again. A couple of them were getting a cough. If the Sulmet combined with the stall being warmer doesn't deal with it I am getting something from the vet.
    I have read about making a little shelter such as you are describing. But with 12 little ones in there I don't know what I could use that would be big enough. The heater is supposed to be very safe. The man at the farm store told me that is what he uses. He doesn't have to cage it the way we did because he has a normal barn and doesn't have baby goats that like to jump on everything. I feel pretty safe with it. I checked it, and they can't knock it over, and if they could it is supposed to shut off then. It is sitting on cement blocks that also hold the cage stable so that they can't possibly knock it over. It doesn't put out enough heat to ignite anything, even if it was near enough to do it.
    I really don't think I have a choice at this point, although it has warmed up enough (it is in the high teens) that I opened the door to the outer part so the big girls can go in and out and I lowered the heat to low on the heater.

I use medicated lamb and kid starter pellets, but it is so hard to know who is getting it and how much. Plus I think a few of them have such a big cocci load that they really need the Sulmet.

Thank you, thank you, so much. This forum has become one of my greatest resources. It is so wonderful to know that when I encounter a problem, there is a place I can go to get input, encouragement and even sympathy when needed.

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your babies Jillis, I have no idea what is wrong with them, but yeah I have heard that the blood circle thing is normal, i also heard that corn starch is good for stopping bleeding. Good luck, I will be praying for you and for your little girls. Good Luck, bye.

7. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

I had a friend whos goat ate corn starch and died. Flour is better.

Some treat once a week with sulmet for cocci.. as a prevention.

Liz

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

It seems that Sulmet is very broad spectrum and is good for a lot of things.
    I watched the babies through the window tonight and it is so good to see them comfortable again.
    The heater is doing a great job. It isn't toasty warm but it is definitely back to comfortable. Instead of huddling together slighty hunched and shivering they are playing, romping, eating and butting. They look altogether much better, even fatter somehow.
    I checked and checked the heater, most if it is cool to the touch. The heat comes out these little vent holes. The top is hotter and the bottom is barely warm. They put their feet on the cage but they cannot move it, because of the heavy cement bricks in the bottom. The wall behind it and all the cords and plugs are cool. I am so happy. It was hard to be comfortable in the house knowing how cold the babies were outside.
    I am learning so much. And gaining confidence. Having this site as a resource is a tremendous blessing.
    Thanks again to all!