Please tell me how big a truck needs to be to pull a camper

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NancyinArkansas, Sep 30, 2004.

1. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

I have a 1979 20 foot pull behind nomad camper and a 6 cylinder dodge dakota truck -2004-modle and my husband says it will tear up the truck to pull it so my camper is just sitting in the yard --does anyone pull their campers with a 6 cylinder truck--help please-Nancy

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

4. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I've owned 3 dodge dakotas with the 6 cylinder in it they all pulled fine. Our current dakota has the V8 318 and really I liked the V6 better.

how much does the nomad weigh? what is the tongue weight? Does your dakota have a towing package on it?

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

A Dakota is not a full size truck. The pulling capacity might be fine. I always am more comcerned about the stopping and steering ability of my tow vehicle. I would in no way tow a camper with anything but a fullsize truck.
    I had a 20ft. camper and pulled it with a fullsize Chevy van 1/2 ton or G10 series. It had a class 3 hitch with Reese load equalizer bars and of course a brake control so the trailer had stopping power. This was a marginal vehicle for towing this camper.