Please tell me about showing

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Caelma, May 5, 2005.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I would love to get into showing rabbits.
    Been to a couple shows. (Just to observe)
    Going to one to observe this week-end.

Can you all tell me about your showing experiences?
    Your first time?
    What to expect? Advice?
    The breeds I would like to show are
    English Lops, Dutch and maybe Palaminos.
    I wouldn't even try the Cals or NZ as I am told
    the meat ones vs the show ones are different although they should
    not be (In others opinions.)
    Thank you

2. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

For a beginner I'd try dutch. Dutch are more of a marked breed than type. Markings are looked at, and if one has noticeably nicer markings, they will be placed top, every time, given they exhibit what appears to be decent dutch type. Getting those markings aren't easy. There is a breeder down here that breeds for two litters every other day. 1/2 are culled at birth, then at about 2 weeks, 1/2 of those culled, and what doesn't get culled then either goes to show pens or meat pens. She does supply a lot of frozen feeders, so has a market for all those culls. Slips and stops were my main problems. I don't show much due to time, but will change that this fall hopefully. I do heep 5 breeds, but dutch are the only ones on that list. You are lucky to be in the vacinity of Carrie Campo, one of the best holland breeders currently. If you want a nice lop breed, that is holland. You will pay however....

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Ooooh, showing is a lot of fun and is challenging and rewarding if you stick with it. I show Californians and hope to begin selling to a small local processor soon. You're right, there can be a LOT of difference in NZ and Cals bred for show versus production. Keep in mind however, that everyone likes to claim they have a corner on the market. There are a lot of show breeders out there who sell their culls to a processor, so it is possible to find Cals and NZ that win on the show table and produce meat fairly efficiently (though probably not as efficiently as rabbits from a major commercial line). All of the Californian show breeders I've met eat their culls or send them to a processor. Generally, show NZs and Cals tend to be very blocky and muscular, but not as efficient from a meat standpoint; while commercial NZs and Cals are very good at turning feed into meat fast and efficiently, but don't have as good of conformation. Personally, if you were going to show, I would not buy rabbits from a breeder raising rabbits SOLELY for commercial purposes.

Nevertheless, please think carefully about what you like about specific breeds and really search your soul as to what you'll do with the animals that don't measure up to show standards. Nice thing about breeds with commercial body type (NZ, Cal, Champagne D'Argent, Palomino, Satin, etc.) is that you can probably sell the culls to a processor. Talk to a lot of different breeders, go to a bunch of different shows, and research, research, research breeds before making a final decision. Don't be in a rush to jump into show bunnies. Join the ARBA and your preferred breed's national specialty club if you haven't all ready. Membership fees are very low and more than pays for the wealth of information they give you.

LOL, in my area there seems to be a bit of Cal Clique. There's a lot of old experienced breeders (mostly men), and since I am a youth breeder, I don't think they take me too seriously. The challenge of showing against them is enjoyable though. :cool: See, winning against an Old Experienced Breeder is more fun than winning against Young Inexperienced Breeders. ;) (that was free, BTW)

Have fun and good luck with show bunnies!
    Hannah