Please take the time to help me

Discussion in 'Goats' started by miniwman, Jan 20, 2007.

1. miniwman

miniwman Member

I bought a very pregnant pygmy goat 3 weeks ago. She has kidded before (twins) with no problem. Last possible breed date was Halloween.
    She was delivered (10 mile trip). She was hugely pregnant sticking out on sides and you could see kids moving. Her bag was full and the man thought she was loosing her plug and should kid with 3 days.
    Well nothing has happened except her belly is low now and milk almost gone! There are two bumps I can feel. She is eating drinking etc. no stress etc.
    What's going on!!!!!!!!!

2. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

I would think that she is not ready to kid quite yet. She could have until March to kid. Maybe when you bought her she had milk because her last kids were just being weaned off of her.

What color was the "plug" if it wasn't yellow it wasn't her plug. If it was clear or whitish it was just discharge. Are you sure what you were seeing that looked like babies wasn't just her rumen working? (The rumen is located higher on the left side.)

Her belly being "low" means that the kids have dropped and are getting in position to be bron. (This can happen up to a month before kidding but usually fairly close to kidding.)

If she is eating and drinking fine she is most likely just fine, and trying to stand by her does code of honor. (They go when it is the most INCONVIENT for you. :) )

You can really tell by her ligaments how close she is to kidding. Here is a link that can explain better how to do that. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/prenatalcare.html

3. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

when was her first breeding date? if you can get that info, add 151 days (give or take a few) to get the kidding due date (within a few days) halloween would mean kidding the end of march. just watch her and notice changes and such. read all you can between now and then about it.

4. miniwman

miniwman Member

Thanks for the help. I am so sad. My husband cannot feel kids in her and her bag is almost dry now. Huby thinks she kidded prior to coming here and farmer just didn't know as he has over a 100 does and babies.

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Just a question when you purchase this doe and she was pregnant did you have to have her brought to you because she wasn't close by or what?

I would contact the person that you bought the goat from and ask them did the goat have the babies there at their place and was they dead or what? Because if you bought the goat while pregant then you should being able to have the babies too. And then again you saying you could see the babies moving inside of her is it possible she was bred before Halloween and she kidded there at the place she was at before you got her home and the guy didn't tell you.

Gosh I'm just trying to think of what might had happen. :)

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

when did you see the big belly with kids moving?
    if she is due end of march she has plenty of time and you can't feel kids now.
    it would be also normal for her to dry up now.
    this sounds a little bit confusing.
    go to the breeder and ask about her pregnancy

7. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I would give her time, She is getting use to her new evironment and is unsure about being a safe place to kid.I had a doe that I wasnt sure she was even bred with her winter coat she didnt get the big belly and I wrote her off as not bred and when her time came she bagged up the night before and gave twins her first time.Right on time

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Unless she had a false pregnancy, she would have a watery discharge and this far out no milk. But other than one of my does who simply never dries up, if you went out into the barn and looked at my goats, you would think they are fat not pregnant and you certainly couldn't feel kids...that whole feeling kids...well maybe when she is laying down you could see a kick, but feeling rumen sounds and seeing the rumen or other 3 stomachs rumblings is more than likely...the uterus is very well protected and hidden inside the doe. You also could not get milk from any of them and they were just dried up before christmas. Mine are also due end of Feb/March. Give her time, unless you have access to a buck or want to blood test to see if she is bred, just like most folks you have to wait and watch. She would be pregnant for 150 days, so if the last day she was with the buck is October, you have until March. Sorry she came with such awful information, it makes your life soo much harder.

She also could have lost weight if you are not feeding her the amounts of roughage she got at her old home, when they loose that big ole barrell, it has nothing to do with kids, it has to do with browze, hay, roughage in her. What you feeding her? What was she getting fed? Does who move from a more dry lot area than my woods, do look thinner at their new homes, as they learn to eat more hay to full that rumen. Vicki

9. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Boy I remember my first experience with a pregnant doe...we took her to be hand bred...2 times , 45 minutes travel time one way....Second time was the charm :) She was very pregnant looking for most of her pregnancy but then near the end I went out one day and her shape had changed completely...I walked my pasture for hours, completely convinced that she'd aborted and was no longer carrying her pregnancy. About a month or so later right on time she kidded a single doeling and all was well .