Please take a look at my barn set up-need input!!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Momof8kiddoes, May 11, 2005.

1. Momof8kiddoes

Momof8kiddoes Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, we are in the process of building this barn, and are pouring the cement floor this weekend. Not having alot of experience here, can you give me some input on this floor plan?
    The U shape in the middle will be my milking staunchion. Where ever it does not say dirt floor, that is where the concrete will be. Also, note the seperate room that I will use as my milk room, any input? There will be 4 pens total, one being actually a hay storage.
    Any do's or dont's, please oh please let me know!!!!-once we pour the cement, its hard going back!!

Mary F.
    [​IMG]

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well, the only suggestion id have would be to slap a rubber mat on top of the cement where your going to milk, will make for less stress, and relax the cow. Also, where do they come in, etc? Also what is in place of the dirt floors? Pens? How long is the stall where she is milked? What catches the manure? I also see you have a toilet, is the cow to use the toilet?!?! ;). Mainly curious what goes where? Pens, etc etc.

All looks good, cement for the pens floor would make for easier cleaning, and can be sanitized easier. I can make out things like the toilet, water heater.

Jeff

3. Momof8kiddoes

Jeff, I was having trouble with the pic, and edited it by resizing. Hopefully you can see things better with this pic.
    Yes, the 'dirt' parts will be pens. Money wise, Im hoping it will work for now, at least!
    As for the toilet :p -we put it in (or will someday anyway) if we ever decide to go Grade A Dairy-there must be a toilet, go figure.
    There will be doors on each end, right down the middle-we will be able to drive right down the center of the barn.
    What do you mean by "what catches the manure?"...it will hit the cement (which will be graded to the center, and out the doors), and I can at least hose it down to get it out of there. Do you forsee any problems with that? What kind of setup do you have, or suggest in this aspect?
    Hope this makes sense, keep asking questions if necessary, and thanks for the tips so far!
    Mary F.

4. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry, but I broke my glasses on Sunday and I'm having trouble making out some of it. From what I can see though it looks like a decent plan. I have to wonder though if the way you have your milking staunchion configured if it's practical? Is there going to be some way to clean up after your cow when she plops? Is there going to be some sort of drain or something to take care of the water if you hose it down?

I'd love to see a clearer copy.... can you email me one? :p

edit! ok, Your ahead of me.... much clearer copy. Thanks Mary :p

5. Momof8kiddoes

JanO,
    The cement will be graded to the center, and out the doors on each end.
    Im thinking since she will only be in the stauncion for milking, and only occasionally plops, it would work?
    Now arent ya glad it wasnt your eyesight after all? It was just a bad pic! :D
    Mary F.

6. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Do you have a storage area for the grain?. The dirt floors should be ok for pens, but it will get sloppy if not properly drained. How do you plan on cleaning pens? By hand or with skidloader? Is the ceiling high enough for a skidloader to get in or garden tractor or something. If you plan on hosing it out(which is a easy way to clean) you'll need to slope it a little to one way. Also see where the water is going to drain. You do not want a mudhole right outside the door.Maybe a cement approarch entering the barn? Why not make room for two or more stantions? Milking cows can get additive. One interesting place has raised the stantion part up about a foot or more with a hollowed out spot for the milker. This way the cow is higher up and there is less bending over. This may be beter for someone more commercial though. What are in the plans for ventilation, aside from the doors. Good luck Nothing has as much promise as fresh cement!

7. Momof8kiddoes

Evermoor, thanks for the input here. Nope...see, I hadnt thought of the storage bin for grain, Ill have to ask dh on it, see where we can fit it in. Gracias!
    I plan on cleaning pens by hand (at least for now-that farm equipment is expensive!). While dh is thinking water will go out one side, and we just wont use that side often, Im wondering if it will be a big pain now, since yep, there will be a big mud hole there from me spraying the water out. Hmmm. Ill have to think on that one, see what I can come up with. Thanks so much for looking and replying so far, everyone!
    Mary F.

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

What I was referring to as a catch for the manure where she is milked, is kind of like in the old barns, a gutter. I'm not saying to install one, but if there was some sort of catch where you can take a shovel clean it up then throw some lyme down to collect the moisture afterwards. It's an idea. As far as spraying the floors down, it is nice to see a clean floor, where you could have dinner off it :). But if you clean up any manure after her, and it doesn't dry. Simply scooping it up (her diet will also determine its consistency, more hay will yield solid manure), should keep things clean. That lyme is good stuff, we use it and it collects moisture and even on old cement, it has a new appearance to it. It seems to change the smell to the air as well, but try to wear a mask. The dirt pens will work, but as evermoor said, keep them clean. Where I had the 14 holsteins, swiss, donkey and a hereford setting was in the chute where we park the tractors during the summer. It has a dirt floor, but it is also sloped. I cleaned it every day, so it didn't get muddy, and sopping wet. Put new dry hay down, kept it clean and I was set. As long as those pens aren't a low spot, you should be fine, and depending how many animals per pen, seeing they are 12' wide. We put two herefords in a pen slightly smaller than those, with their calves. It worked, but what a mess the next day. But one per pen would not cause any troubles as far as moisture. Id reccomend sand on the dirt, then hay on the sand. Not a lot of sand, just a layer about 1-2" deep to collect moisture. I put sand in one of the dirt pens, in a low spot. It worked well, and it is still there.

Otherwise, we need pics of this barn when its built :).

Jeff

9. Momof8kiddoes

Thanks Jeff, for the reply back. I can put more dirt (which, funny thing-all our dirt here IS sand lol-makes for a not so great garden though) in the pens, to raise them up and slope them a bit. That sounds like a good idea (one I wouldnt have thought of either!). Ok, I will send pics when we are done too. Should be about a month, since we are doing one on those metal barns, instead of the wood. Bless you for giving me some great ideas!
    Mary F.