Please State Location in Posts

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcwerk, Nov 18, 2004.

1. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi all,
    I was just wishing we could all get in the habit of saying what location our
    farm/homestead is at? I really enjoy reading what all is going on each other's
    lives on the homestead, but I start wondering where the poster is from. It
    doesn't have to be specific or anything, just a general area like, "central
    Minnesota" or a town name would be nice. [Btw, we are closing on the 35
    acre Minnesota farm week in two week--wish us luck! ;-)]
    This especially so if the area you are from isn't on your "name plate". Just an
    idea...
    James in Houston, Tx but soon to be Houston, MN

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Just put it in your signature.

3. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep wondering what objection anyone would have to putting that in thier profile so it would show up by their name? You don't have to give your town, but no one would find you by your online name and just a state. :)

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

If you go to your control panel and put your location in on your profile thingy, it shows up under your name. Over there, on the left :D Not everyone puts it in, though. I think some don't know they can, and others prefer a bit more privacy, maybe. It would help, quite a bit.

5. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Unfortunately... yes they could. Unless you're very careful about what you post, a system like this one makes it possible to track an individuals posts from beginning to end. Stacked one on top of the other, most people in a group like this will provide enough clues so someone who really wanted to track them down, could.

Would someone troll these forums looking for a victim? Maybe yes, maybe no. What we have here is a large group of people scattered across the USA and several other countries, some with resources, most living in isolated areas... many women staying home alone with children.

I can certainly see why some people are not at all comfortable identifying their location even in the vaguest terms.

6. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

A location certainly makes a post more interesting. I often wonder why a member wouldn't give their location. A location adds a lot to a post.Thanks for letting me have my say. I am centered between Winston Salem, High Point, and Greensboro N.C. At a Little place named Kernersville.

7. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

I live on a 14 acre farm in rural GA about 25 miles west of Augusta :) However, we are planning to move to the extreme NE corner of TN. We are going up there to look around next week.

michele

8. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Everybody has always known we are in north central Alabama....It would sure help when people put things on the barter board, or ask questions on this forum that might be area-specific, like when to plant certain things, etc.

9. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Welcome to the northland James in Houston. Are you prepared for the cooler temps? It's going to be very different from what you're use to.
    I live just north of the Minnesota border, in northwestern Ontario.

10. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I don't suppose after they track me down they will have pity on me and mow some of the 20 acres, will they? While they're at it, the ponds and well could be a bit deeper. And then there's the hurrican damage to the roof. I'll leave a list on the gate.

11. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

:haha: Wouldn't that be great? How scary it can be to have someone track you down when you're not expecting it came home to us a few months ago when we sold something we thought was junk on ebay... and it turned out to be very valuable (to a collector) "stuff." We put it up for what I thought (since I was going to take it to the dump) was a laughably high price. All of $10. This immediately alerted the people who know this stuff to the fact that we didn't, and our box was bombed with people first asking us to sell it privately, then demanding.. then..

We got an email from someone saying "I know where you live (and stating the address correctly) I am coming to get it."

Unfortunately for this dude, I have protective services from our local PD for an abusive family member. I simply flipped the thing to them and they swung into action. Needless to say he did not "come and get it."

But it really popped my eyes open to how differently an event like this could have turned out. Suppose he hadn't warned us? Suppose he'd just figured out we live in an isolated area and just shown up for whatever purposes?

Life is a gamble, but this kind of gamble I don't need to take!

12. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

A 20 gauge shotgun will take care of that paranoia! LOL I lveo my place right now, up until last year, the police didnt even know there was a house here! I suppose everyone takes that risk online, but I would immagine your odds are about the same as hitting the lottery, that someone would come to yer spread.

13. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

Technically speaking, you could be tracked by your ISP number. Everyone who posts anywhere on the internet can be tracked through it; not just at this site. Giving your state isn't going to narrow down your location whatsoever or make you any easier to find.

14. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it will be a challenge, but I am not sure how I will cope. I love the
    "wildness" of the area, and that the citizenry seems a lot more informed then
    they are here in Texas. The area in Houston Co., MN where we are moving is
    really beautiful, and will surely be a lot better in the Summer ;-) Thanks for
    the welcome!
    james in Houston, Tx (but will soon be Houston, MN!)