Please post your favorit recipes

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Patty0315, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I would like some cheese and yogurt recipes to try out

Thanks ,Patty

2. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself makes butter of course, bt she is also partial to Kefir. She go her starter from one of our milk customers and eats Kefir everyday with fruit for breakfast, and also sometimes during the day for a low cal snack.

I make cottage cheese by skimming a couple of gallons of milk and just leaving them on the counter at room temperature for 2 days (48 hours) to curdle, and then dumping the curds into a stainless steel pot placed on the coolest end of the cookstove. When the curds reach a 120 degrees I pour them into a cheese cloth lined bowl. Tie the corners of the cheese cloth and hang them over a bowl in the kitchen to drip from morning to night or all night until morning. Once they are dry I dump them into a much smaller bowl with a touch of salt and a healthy dose of cream. Cut the cream and salt into the curds and break them to the size I like, and lie to Herself and tell her they didn't turn out right.

My chickens love the whey, Herself and I enjoy the cottage cheese, and I don't see a down side. It's way easy, super quick, and most of all I can do it.

4. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Yogurt is super easy.. this is my way...
    Put one gallon milk into a double broiler type set up - or a really heavy bottom pan -- heat it until it gets to about 180 degrees (or has a nice film on top)
    then put into cold sink of water and cool to about 120 degrees (not hot to the finger) Mix 8 oz of fresh yogurt (you can use dannon plain to get started it is the best) with a couple of cups of the milk to get it mixing, then add to the gallon.... stir well to mix and laddel into 4 quart jars and one 8 oz jar (for the next starter batch). Keep in the oven with the pilot on, or any other warm spot need to stay between 80 and 130 degrees for 3 or 4 hours... I have let it sit longer, but hotter will kill it. The cooler temps make a mild yogurt, the warmer temp a tart yogurt. It should be "set" before it goes into the fridge...

Then,,, after your yogurt is good and chilled, open one of those jars, pour it into a damp cheescloth, hang over a bowl overnight and in the morning you have some great cream cheese. You can add anything to it, a tad of salt, garlic, chives, whatever you can think of....I use the whey that comes off of it for making biscuits and such... I dont waste anything, the animals are lucky if they get any leftovers! lol!!

My family eats yogurt on their cereal, not milk!! (go figure!) really tasty with grape nuts and raisins.....