Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know so many of you have difficulties and challenges way worse than mine and I'm not looking for sympathy.

Last week I had a bit of an accident and it seems I'm going to be in a cast and on crutches for a couple of months and up until today, I've been okay with that as long as I can avoid surgery.

I'm just miserable today. Everything I do takes forever, I was literally unpacking from a move so my house is in shambles, when I try to do something simple like washing dishes, it's exhausting and painful.

Any thoughts on how to restore my usual sense of humour please?

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I can only imagine how miserable you are - to see what needs to be done, yet be unable to do it.

As I was reading your post, the first thought that came to mind was to invite someone over that could help with the task at hand - as well as distract you from your discomfort. That person might even be able to prepare a healthy meal and a snack or two to keep you nourished as you heal. Then of course, my second thought was: I wonder if there's an HT member that lives nearby...

Now, for all of those other times where there is no help available. Take small bites out of the task. 15 or 20 mins at work, then at least that long in a comfortable position with a good book or a funny movie. Repeat as needed.

Wishing I lived closer. I think it's exciting to move, even if it is exhausting.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
I broke my ankle years back, and I was incapacitated kind of like you. I got a wheel chair for a few weeks, and life went on. I had 4 children from 8mo to age 10 back then. You would be amazed at how fast time passes when you look back on it. You will be fine, blessed, and come through this. I pray God's very best for you.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
I can imagine how frustrating it is ,especially when you have just moved. I wouldn't worry about getting the house sorted until you are feeling better. Just do what is absolutely necessary. The rest will wait, unless you have a friend that can help as Marilyn suggested. The house will come together in due time. Take care of you! You'll heal faster if you don't overdo it. Now's the time to snuggle up with a warm blanket, a dog or cat and watch a movie or read a book. Sending healing vibes.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
Sorry it happened to you.

This is the time for all the friends and family members, who you have undoubtedly done favors for over the years, to come over and "pay it forward'. Call them. And don't stress over not having your house perfect after the move, just get it to where you can function and the rest will still be there when you heal up.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Cooking meals and cleaning up after them is a painful and exhausting drag when you're incapacitated, worse yet when you're still unpacking after a move. Been there, done that, so although I know you didn't ask for sympathy you still have my sympathy and complete understanding.

More to the point, you'll be less inclined to prepare meals that you'd normally cook from scratch with fresh ingredients, so you end up not eating as often or as well as you should at a time when you need it the most for recuperating and keeping up strength.

If you don't have friends or family available to do your shopping phone around and find out what grocery stores will take orders and deliver to you. Stock up right now on at least a 3 week supply of lots of comfort foods that require no preparation, and lots of canned, frozen or packaged ready to heat & serve meals so you can avoid prepping and cooking meals for the next 2 or 3 weeks. Things like soups, canned meats and seafoods, eggs, cheese, jam and peanut butter for sandwiches, frozen TV dinners and meat & veggie pot pies, pizzas, instant hot cereals and instant noodles, hot chocolate and any other kinds of packaged stuff you can think of that you just need to add boiling water to or pop in the microwave. I know a lot of it is considered junk food but right now you have extenuating circumstances and it's only temporary.

And stock up as soon as possible if you can because the polar vortex is being forecast to arrive in your area by Monday.

It's helpful if you can wheel yourself around your place at times just to stay off your feet and crutches while you're doing your unpacking and organizing. If you don't already have your own office desk chair with wheels on it to use, you could call the local Red Cross or a pharmacy and they should be able to rent you a wheeled walker with a seat. That might be less bulky and awkward to use than a heavy wheelchair and you can use your good leg to push yourself along on when sitting in a walker. A walker will also be good for wheeling other things around from point A to point B to save you from carrying things while on crutches. Red Cross usually rents them for super cheap rental rates.

Get lots of rest, only unpack one or two boxes a day for the time being if necessary just so you don't exhaust yourself. Your stuff isn't going to go away and will still be there waiting for you if you give yourself every opportunity to get your stamina up and running over the next couple of weeks.

Do you have friends and family that can do things for you?

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Either get a wheel chair or a rolling office chair.
I have an elderly cousin that zips all over in her rolling office chair.
She sits to chop veggies etc.. too.

And if you don't need the thing in the box... leave the box alone.
No rush to unpack.
And you are going to feel more tired than you expect.
Healing is tiring for the body. It really is.

So rest. Relax.
Learn to knit if you don't know how already.
Something easy like an afghan all in one stitch.
Watch movies on Netflix while you do it.
Download audiobooks from your local library.

I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Do you live with another responsible adult? They need to help out more. If that's not an option, and you can afford to, go with a lot of paper goods and convenience foods to lighten your load without giving up too much on good nutrition while you're recovering. Unpacking can wait. Getting a little movement each day is good for you, so unpack a box if you can get a helper for the chores and are getting antsy to do something, but don't make it a huge priority. Think like you're camping out in the new house and just live without that extra stuff from your old house for a little bit. All you really need is a frypan, a spoon, one eating set for the family, sleeping arrangements, and one bathroom functional. Get lots of rest. Set a timer when you are active so you force yourself to take a break before you start hurting badly. You want mild exercise, not injury aggravation.

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much and quite honestly I really have no reason to complain. I know I'll get better, the big guy has been wonderful, even if he is away from home quite a bit. I have great friends and neighbours, although I'm hate asking them for help.

One of my kids dropped in today and I talked him into taking me grocery shopping and while I'm paying for it now, it does help to have food that requires less preparation.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I hear ya', it is hard to ask for help. I bet your friends and neighbors would love it if you did, though.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Looking at the bright side, you'll be able to scrape off that crusty stuff that's growing on the inside of your cast and use it as a low-cost substitute for Parmesan cheese when the finally cut it off.

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Been there, done that and I know from experience how frustrating it can be. The one thing that I found helped was that one day a week (well, right after I got out of the hospital, it was every other day, but eventually got to one day a week) I told myself I wouldn't do anything but enjoy myself ... had enough cooked I didn't have to cook anything, just put it on the table (or point to the refrigerator) ... used paper plates so I didn't have to wash dishes ... stayed on the couch and read a new book, had lots of chocolate, talked to a friend I hadn't seen for a long time on the phone ... in other words, pampered myself.

Amazing how much I looked forward to that day and how much it helped my attitude the next few days.

Heal fast ... and don't push things too hard. Believe me, that has become more evident to me the older I get ... things take longer and don't heal as well if you don't take care of yourself.

·
Premium Member
10,408 Posts
You are already on the right path by asking for encouragement; and the wonderful people here are always quite generous.

I can only reiterate what has been proposed here, i.e. have on hand foods that are fast and easy to prepare. What I would add is a good supply of your favorite movies and easy access to your TV/VCR. Lots of enjoyable hours you can spend on the classics!

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
My sister broke her ankle badly a few years ago. She hired a friend who needed the money to help her clean house, shop for groceries, etc. Now, she was a really good friend, and was willing to do it.

Even if you didn't go that route, if you could hire someone who does housekeeping for one day a week to do some of your unpacking and to help keep your place up for awhile, it might make you feel better.

Good luck. Rotten that you got hurt that way!

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Big Hugs sent your way. I know what it is like to be incapacitated and looking at chaos surrounding me. Something about a messy house messes with my head. I had a friend come over a couple of hours at that time to just clear a path for me! I hated asking for help but soon realized my friend felt good that she was able to help. Four months and a healthy baby later put it into perspective. Take this time to heal up properly. All those tasks will be squared a way when you are able.

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so much for the encouragement, it is greatly appreciated and I know that so many have things way worse and don't complain.

Oggie, thanks for the laugh and I was thinking of you yesterday when I tripped over one of the outside cats.

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
I broke both legs one week, between the first one and the second, they found i have a chronic form of leukemia. Was in rehab for a month, then in a wheel chair for another month, then a walker, then cane.

kids moved things around in the house so i could roll in to where i needed, microwave placed low down, coffee pot. Ate a lot of sandwiches. DD and SIL would come by with dinner or make dinner, but I was here alone most of the day.

the main job here is to heal and get back on your feet and moving. The other things can wait. DD had friends I didn't know show up to drive me to rehab after I got home. Bonus, I have about 8 more "grandchildren" and about 10 more "children" from the experience.

Ed

1 - 20 of 43 Posts