Please Help

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Bluebutterfly, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Bluebutterfly

Bluebutterfly Well-Known Member

My neighbor has over 60 Boer Goats. He keeps them on his other farm down the road. He has a huge barn that the goats would go in for shelter. Half the herd was pregnant. Today he came by our house and told us that his barn caught fire last night and burned down. He told us that the fire department was called at 4 in the morning and they did all that they could to put out the fire. Anyway, my neighbor told us that half the herd got caught inthe fire and died. They were mostly the pregnant does that died. My husband went to help him this morning to move all of the goats that survived to another location.

Anyways... When my husband came back, he had 2 babies with him. A little doe and a buckling both about a week old. There hair has been burned off. The buckling has swollen eyes and burned ears. But he is very active and eating hay and took the bottle immediately. The doeling Has burn marks on her ears as well.. but wont take the bottle at all. She was found on the field in a puddle of mud. I cleaned her off and him off. I treated the burns. But the little doeling just seems a bit wobbly and weak. PLEASE HELP. They are both ok in regards to the burns but both of their mamas died in the fire and our neighbor gave us these 2 baby goats and I need to know how much milk they are supposed to have at a week old. Any information is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance,
    Bluebutterfly

2. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

i do not have any goats, but i would say to consult your local vet.

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Oh no how horrible! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( .

For the babys I would feed them 3 times a day and use a 16oz bottle each time. The more they eat of the 16oz the better. I agree though that I would have a vet check them out to make sure that they are fine.

I am in a hurry (running to get ready to go to work) but check out www.fiascofarm.com as they have some good info.

I am praying for your little ones!

MotherClucker

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I would get the babies to the vet to have them checked out. If the doeling still hasn't eaten, the vet can tube her so bring some milk with you. If you can get pasteurized goat milk, this would be best. I give my bottle babies 2-3 feedings a day, depending on how much they take at each feeding. I put a Pritchard nipple on a 20 oz. pop bottle. When the babies drink the whole 20 oz. they go to twice a day. They are also given hay. I'm not sure how cold it is where you live, but if the babies don't have any hair, you need to be sure they are warm enough. If the doeling is chilled or in pain, this may be why she is not eating. Babies who have been feeding on their moms for a week may need some coaxing to take a bottle. I've had to put one of my milkers in the stand and put the baby on her teat, to get the occasional baby to eat. God bless you and your husband for helping your neighbor in this tragedy. Goodluck with your new babies.

5. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

we are all different- I would never give 1 wk old babies that much milk at one time. I would start them off with about 12oz 3-5 times a day and then work them up to the 20oz a feeding. For the doe kid- try some probios or yogert. see if you can get her to suck your finger then sneak the nipple in. if she was on the dam it may be harder to get her started. The poor things..
    So sorry to hear about your neighbors loss. very sad.
    Liz in NY
    Teacup Farm

6. Bluebutterfly

Thank goodness I got her to take the bottle but she only drank a few ounces. I have them both in a very large cage in the kitchen right now. I made an appointment with the vet in the morning. It has been a very hard day. It is so upsetting. He figured that the fire might have started by some lights he put in the barn to keep the babies warm at night. Now the poor man lost half his herd. We felt so bad for him. The babies are doing a little better now. They sure are making alot of noise. We named the doeling Miracle and the buckling Lucky. Will try to give them some yogurt now. I really appreciate everyones kind words.
    Bluebutterfly

7. T Lynn

T Lynn Well-Known Member

Poor babies. You might try this, I did it with a baby who would not take a bottle. I would put him acros my lap with front legs hanging off one side and back legs off the other. The I would hold his chin and put the bottle in. Then I would tip his chin up so that the milk would flow easily. If the other baby is taking a bottle well, and you have help, you might put him on your lap with her. Get someone to hold his bottle. She might get the hang of it if she hears him sucking. Aslo make sure the hole in the nipple is big enough. If she has to work to hard then she will give up. (I did not know this at first and my first babies were very frustrated.) Just keep working with her. She will get the hang of it, she is just not use to a bottle. Good luck and I hope everything goes well at the vet tomorrow. Keep us posted.

8. AmazingAlpines

AmazingAlpines Member

That is so terrible. It is very hard to lose even one goat. :(
    As far as bottle feeding, earlier this year we lost a Boer doe who had been feeding month old twins. They had to be switched to a bottle (not an easy task). We found that neither kid would drink formula. However, when we switched to store bought whole milk, they would drink it right down. The formula does not taste very good, but the cow milk was the closest thing to real goat milk.

When teaching kids to drink from bottles, we also use plastic soda pop bottles. You can squeeze the bottle to get milk into the kid's mouth. The most important thing to remember is persistence. It may take a while, but eventually the kid will decide to drink.
    Tori

9. Bluebutterfly

She just drank a little more milk and this time when we forced her mouth open and slipped the nipple in her mouth.. we squeezed the bottle real quick and she started sucking on it really hard. The poor thing. I just got news from my neighbor that there is another baby coming to us tomorrow. He said that this one was looking for it's mama and was just going from goat to goat trying to drink. No success so far for the little one. The mama must have gotten caught in the fire as well. So that makes 3 little ones for us to bottle feed. The little doeling has come along way. When my husband handed me the doeling at the door it was just aweful. The poor thing was limp and I thought for sure she wasn't long for this world. Many times I had to check if she was breathing. Now she stands and walks nibbles on some hay and is slowly getting used to her bottle. I just want to make sure that the burns on the buckling are properly cared for. His eyes are so swollen like they have been punched. So hopefully everything will turn out ok with the Vet tomorrow.
    I am still really shaken up about it all. The smell of the burned hair and the thought of all of those poor goats hurting. My husband told me what he saw remaining in the area that used to be the barn and it was just very upsetting.
    Thank you everyone. You have all been wonderful.
    Bluebutterfly

10. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Poor babies are in shock. I agree with Liz. I overfed my 2 week old babies and they got diarrhea. 12 oz. twice a day will do at this time, and for the doeling, whatever she can take. If you can get some electrolytes into her, that would help.
    Can you make a soothing, cool compress for the bucks eyes?
    Poor, poor babies...

11. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

You and the little ones, as well as the poor poor farmer, will be in our thoughts and prayers tonight....sounds like you are on the right track.

12. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

get some IV fluids in those babies. I agree with Teacup liz...that is all too much milk. You need to give those kids some cd antitoxin, 3cc mixed with 2cc of polyserum. They are stressed right now and more suseptable to disease.
    Give that subq every 2 weeks until they are 12 weeks old. Then you can vaccinate them and their bodies will recognize the antibodies. You can both from Jeffers, PBS or Cee Sales.

13. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Man..I hate hearing about that accident. My ex and I lost an entire farrowing house full of mommas and babies. It definitely does something to a person. I will say prayers for your neighbor and for your two munchkins.

After the trauma they have been through..that you have gotten them to eat at all is a major win for your side. That being said...when I am bottle feeding..I know I don't feed anywhere near that much in the first week. Heck .. if these two take 8oz. at a crack right now..they will make it. I sure wouldn't force them.

I know this sounds kinda weird..but I would hang on to them .. especially the one you are having trouble with. She needs a momma with all the stress she is under. I am guessing you have them in the house? Even if you don't..just go get her and let her lay on ya or next to ya. She is not very old .. the fire and injuries from burns is one thing..losing momma is another. Comfort is the word I'm looking for.

I too would have a vet look em over. I don't know how much smoke they breathed in..but that might set them up for a lung problem..pneumonia(sp).

I wish you much luck and think it is great that the neighbor had you there to take them for him.

14. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

That is just so incredibaly SAD.. :( I can't imagine how it would feel to have that happen too you..My uncle had his barn burn,full of stantioned holsteins-he was able too get a few out, but he told us how awful it was too not beable too reach them..makes you get cold chills! My dads barn burned, we saw the very start of flames, and in the time it took too get the hose pulled from the well house too the barn-(NOT very far!) it was already out of control!! Just saying that straw, hay ect. goes up so very FAST-you can't imagine..luckily there were no animals inside, the calves outside quickly got out of the way..but in a matter of minutes-by the time the fire trucks arrived, there was almost nothing left.Am glad you got the babies taken care of,will be praying for your family, and the farmers..hope all goes well. :angel:

15. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Are you sure she didn't burn her mouth in some way?? I've found that when one of mine won't take a bottle and momma can't feed I put a little bit of mollasses on the bottle nipple and the kid will just about yank the bottle from your hand.

16. Bluebutterfly

Back from the Vet. She said that the bucklings eyes are infected and gave an ointment to put in them. Both the doeling and buckling have a respiratory infection so they are getting an injection of antibiotics once a day. I also purchased some probios for them. Other then that the burns were ok. They are healing slowly. The doeling is doing better with the bottle but still need to be pushed to drink. But in all they are doing better now. I cant wait to see this little buckling all grown up with all his hair grown back. He still looks a bit of a mess but still is a little cutie. Thank you everyone for all of your advise. You are all very helpful and wonderful.
    Bluebutterfly

17. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

How Wonderful! :happy: Keep up the good work :bow:

18. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

How horrible..... :( Sounds like you have had some great advice. Don't overfeed them, they have been terribly stressed and don't need more to deal with. I would watch their lungs very closely for any problems as I'm sure they inhaled smoke and hot air. That can lead to pnuemonia easily. Keep them warm, but not too warm. The vet can also sell you a little orange tube(catheter) and a 60cc syringe for tube feeding. Have him/her show you the proper way to tube feed just in case you have too. I have had to tube feed many kids, but it can be very scary if you have to do it on your own for the 1st time so have someone with experience show you first. Glad to hear that you got her to drink some, but I would have a tube handy just in case.......God Bless!!

19. Bluebutterfly

The little doeling died a few days ago. Half of her body became paralyzed and she couldn't get up or move. She was doing better then just collapsed and died. The buckling is doing so much better. He is jumping and playing and gulping his bottles down. Now our neighbor told us he thinks that the buckling is about a month old. First he told us about a week. Well... The buckling has watery stool and I was wondering if anyone knows a quick way to get his stool back to normal? Should I stop his bottle for a little while? He eats hay, grass, and would love to get his little lips on some grains but we wont give him any till the watery stool stops. He is still on an injection of antibiotics for respiratory infection and has 3 days left of it. I have been giving him probios 2 times a day. Please help.
    Thank you so much,
    Bluebutterfly

20. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I put Yogurt in my little one's bottles or Kefir when they have runs, make sure not to water down the bottle, I didn't see what you are feeding him? goat milk is best, cow milk 2nd best. You could also try over the counter amodium ad for people. He needs the milk in his tummy to make curds, so don't follow his bottle with water, or water his bottle down with electrolytes that would make it worse.