Please help with waterproofing recipe

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by doyle, Jun 15, 2006.

1. doyle

doyle New Member

:shrug: Does anyone knoe the recipe for waterproofing with atlas cement, lime and salt? I think it is an old-timers recipe. If not, do you know any others for waterproofing a new basement.
    Thanks.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The best method that I have seen to waterproof a basement is as follows.
    Treat the walls with the black roll on asaphalt products sold by lowe's and others then apply the rubber membrane material sold for flat roofs and seal all the joints. Carry the rubber from slightly above ground level to below basement floor slab. Place below the basement floor level a perforated drain line in washed stone on both the inside and the outside of the basement walls and gravity flow the drain lines to a point of natural run off. This may seem overkill but if you ever had a wet basement you can appreciate the results and you will forget about the additional expense in the above.

3. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Exactly right. Sounds like just the ticket there AGNANTOO.

I'd do just what you said and I built homes for fifteen years.

Better safe than sorry.

4. drysdales

drysdales Member

Would that method work for an underground/earthberm house too?

5. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

I would carefully check compatability between rubber roofing and asphalt emulsion products. The EPDM roofing I have came with a Warranty that clearly states that contact with petroleum products will damage the product and void the warranty. In fact cleaning it with mineral spirits cause the material to become brittle. I can't see tarring it to a wall. I have sucessfully used a product called Thoro-seal. It is cement based and applied like a whitewash. In one case I got a call that a poured basement on a house I built had a 1/4" of water on the floor slab. When I got to the house, neighbors were commenting that they had several feet of water in their basements. I had a backhoe operator dig a trench next to the wall. The water level was 16" below grade. The basement was sitting in a bowl of ground water. The exterior of the wall was coated twice with Thoro-seal and it held. The product is far cheaper than a lot of alternatives and easy for a novice to apply. It is also suitable for concrete swimming pools and water tanks.

6. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

We highly recomend applying two coats of sealer. The first often soaks into holes and leaves openings. The second does the trick. The heavy roofing rubber is a great idea. We have always used heavy plastic sheathing but the rubber will take a licking and keep on ticking where plastic will get cut by rocks/abrasives. Make sure it goes below the footing to a rock bed with NATURAL drainage. Even then you need to berm the earth up to the foundation so water will run away.