Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had well or cistern water before. We are in the process of buying a house that has a cistern hooked up to a bladder type water pressure tank. We replaced the defective motor and also the pressure regluator and are now trying to get it prime. I got a copy of the manual and it says to do it one way for a deep well system, and another for a shallow well system. Would the cistern be considered a shallow well system? Anyone have a teel tank similar to this one with some priming tips? We have only had city water, so we are newbies at this. I appreciate everyones help!

[IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/2r57nmw.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
there are others with lots more experience than me who might be able to give you tips on that particular type of pump. But in the meantime:

- yes, the cistern would be a shallow well equivalent.

- there should be a small nut/threaded plug on the top of the pump casing which you can remove and pour water in to achieve prime.

- Make sure you put the plug back in before you switch on power to the pump!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
If the water level in the cistern is higher than the pump, you can get it to prime itself by opening one of those lower clamps on the black pipe and letting the air out of the system. But, the plug is the way to go if the level is not higher in the cistern.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts