Please Help Strange knot on side of doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TC, May 16, 2006.

1. TC

TC Well-Known Member

This morning as I let my goats out to graze I noticed on of my does had a knot right under the skin. It is slightly larger than a tennis ball, and it is located on her right side (as you would look at her from behind) right over the rib cage but closer to the end of the ribs toward her back. It is very prominet, and it wasn't there last night. I touched it and it doesn't seem to hurt her at all, it was very hard. I saw no blood or bite marks (we live in Texas and have many snakes) She is eating and acting just as normal as ever. Could this be a type of bite, or maybe someone else butted her with their horns? If you need any more info , I will try to answer. Thanks in advance!

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Did you give her a shot recently? In that area?

3. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

Hard to say what the lump could be. I would suspect a hematoma(pocket of blood under the skin) caused from getting jabbed from a horn, or maybe she picked up a splinter that caused an abscess to form. I would call the vet to see if they think it warrants a looksee. I really don't know what else would cause a hard, larger than tennis ball sized lump to appear overnight.
    If a goat bloats, you will see the stomach balloon out from behind the ribcage towards the back. Although, you say she is eating fine and otherwise seems fine. If she were bloated she would be obviously uncomfortable, and off her feed.

4. TC

TC Well-Known Member

The lump is still there, but she is still acting as normal as always. I called the vet, and he said it was probably a bite or an injury from a horn, although I see no blood or even a mark at all on the skin. He said not to worry about it........My vet is not a "goat vet". No one around here seems to be. I will give an update in the morning when I can see it better.