Please Help Sick Pygmy Baby

Discussion in 'Goats' started by babecwgirl, May 22, 2005.

1. babecwgirl

babecwgirl Member

PLEASE HELP!!SICK BABIES :waa: went out 2barn friday morning had 1 baby pygmy w/tummy ache..later sameday her twin sister & play mate same agehad tummy ache too.bought them 3wks ago.lady was getting rid of them said she didn't wont them they had 2go she was moving.they were 5wks at the time now 8 weeks. they have been on pellets & hay been doing good, running ,playing ,& eating very well..now this..saturday i gave probias and ivomec...1 still look puny & messy bottom other 2 look good. what should i do, new to goats..please any advise will help..thank you linda :waa:

2. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Far from an expert here but seeing no responses as of yet I wanted to help if I could until someone more experienced could help.

What is their temperature? Any other signs? Are their bellies bloated (full & kinda hard?). Are they eating? Runny eyes or nose? belly ache could mean a lot of things. Did they eat too much grain or grass or gotten into something they shouldn't have? Have you treated for coccidia? How much Ivermec did you give? Are their quarters cramped? Clean? These are some of the questions that may help to help you.

From what I understand coccidia or worms is a major cause of the runs expecially in that age of goat.
    Baking soda free choice helps keep bloat away.
    I would get some yogurt with (live cultures in it) & feed to them-it helps get their rumen working properly after worming.

Wish I could be of more help.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

First the breeder should be shot for selling you these kids weaned at only 5 weeks old, that is the first huge stress on their tiny systems. Then you have the stress of the move, and worst all this stress happening in Texas, the worm and cocci capital of the south :) With obviously no help, and no aftercare.

Without quick intervention the kids with diarrhea will dehydrate and die on you. What area are you in? Several excellent goat clubs in Texas, perhaps you are in an area where someone can come help you. They need to be wormed, they need to be put on a sulfa, not only for cocci, but because of the stress of being ill now, to ward of the bacterial pnemonia that usually strikes next.

What pellet are you using? Kids as young as yours are and weaned so young, need excellent quality nutrition, including good hay, but moreso a pellet that contains calcium and readibly absorbable protein. Adding Calf Manna or knock offs of would really help, along with alfalfa hay.

Answer the questions from the first post, take a temp, continue the probiotics at least 3 times a day, if you have the money you either need a vet or someone who knows goats to help you. I know lots of breeders in Texas perhaps you are in an area I know someone in? Vicki (281-592-6914)