Please help....Scours

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Leslie, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

3 week old bottle feed Babydoll ewe lamb has scours. She is has vigor but I'm not sure what to do. I've read that Pepto helps but how much do I give her? She weighs about 12 pounds.
    Thanks,
    Leslie

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I use pepto all the time on small lambs, about 4-6cc's. Check your replacer mixing to be sure you're gettign the concentration correct.

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Thanks Ross. That is one thing I have never had to use, so wasn't sure.

5. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Don't rule out a coccidia problem, either. Get a fecal test run if you can.

If my bottle lambs ever get runney on the rear not only will I use the Pepto but I will really water down there replacer for a day or so.

6. AndreaR

AndreaR Well-Known Member

Leslie, I found an inexpensive and natural treatment for scours and coccidiosis in rabbits, sheep and goats. Apple Cider Vinegar!! One can add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar per gallon of their drinking water every day as a preventative. When scours acts up in lambs, just mix 20 cc of apple cider vinegar with same amount of water, and drench them (inject into the mouth). For the baby lamb, use only half that amount (10 cc apple cider with 10 cc of water) twice a day for first day, then only once a day til the scours are gone. At least there are no side effects! None of my rabbits or sheep have had scours or coccidiosis using the preventative method.

Hope this helps..any one else done this?
    Andrea