Please help re. pig we found

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Leah IL, May 10, 2005.

1. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

I hope someone can help us here. We found a young pig yesterday, caught him and he is now in our barn. Our neighbor who used to raise pigs says he is a castrated male and appears to be in good shape. He is eating and drinking a bit but mostly he has been sleeping which isn't surprising given the amount of running he did yesterday and who knows how long he was loose before that. I am concerned about his rapid breathing and twitching while he sleeps. Is this normal? The gentleman that helped us catch him did so by roping him around the neck, is it possible he damaged his throat? I removed the rope promptly and carried the pig after that. I have been giving him mixed grains and greens, some eggs, a little milk...I will go get some pig feed later on. If he's ok we'd like to move him outside later in the week. Is there anything else I should do?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

He might be dreaming about his great escape :) Add a little electrolyte/ mineral mix to his water, worm him in a few days, and let him eat. If he acts fine when he's awake he should be fine. When you move him outside, make sure he has shade and clean water all the time

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i've been wondering about this. any chance it is a potbelly? sometimes people get tired of them (they can be a big pain as a pat) and set them out, like they do dogs. how i got my first one.