Please Help My Sons New Pygmys Are Sick!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by myrandaandkids, Jul 7, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

MY SON IS SUCH A SWEETIE AND A GOOD FARMER, I NEVER HAVE TO (ASK) FOR HELP, HES OUT THERE BEFORE I AM, SO OF COURSE FOR HIS B-DAY HE TOLD US, "MOM, DAD, I REALLY DONT WANT ANY NEW TOYS RIGHT NOW, I HAVE ENOUGH,ALL I REALLY WANT IS A START ON EITHER A PYGMY HERD OR A DWARF HERD," WELL OF COURSE WHEN AN 8 YEAR OLD SAYS SOMETHING THAT MATURE AND SWEET YOU WANNA DO IT FOR HIM, BUT WE WERE IN A BIND AS HIS B-DAY WAS 2 WEEKS AWAY AND THERE ARENT ANY PYGMY OR DWARF FARMS IN OUR AREA, BUT AN AQUAINTENCE OF OURS BARDERED PARTS FOR HIS CAR FROM US FOR HIS PAIR OF CARMEL PYGMYS, THE ANSWER TO OUR PRAYERS WE THOUGHT, MY SO LOVES EM TO DEATH, IS SO PROUD OF THEM, BUT THEY ARE SICK:( THEY HACK AND COUGH, THEY WEEZE AND HAVE RUNNY NOSES, THEY SNEEZE AND HAVE NO ENERGY, THEY FEMALE IS GOING BALDE IN SOME PLACES. I FEEL LIKE WE GOT A BUM DEAL, BUT MY SON IS SO INLOVE WITH THEM I WOULDNT THINK OF TAKING THEM BACK, AT THE SAME TIME THOUGH HED BE MORE HEART BROKEN IF THEY DIED IN FRONT OF HIM, I HAVE GIVEN THEM TETRUMYCIN (SORRY CANT SPELL)FOR TWO WEEKS AND SEE NO CHANGE, MY VET IS OUT OF TOWN FOR AN EXTENDED VACATION AND I CALLED EVERY VET IN THE PHONE BOOK AND THEY DONT SEE GOATS OR MAKE HOME VISITS, AND I DONT KNOW ANYONE ELSE AROUND HERE, I CALLED THE GUY I GOTEM FROM AND HE SAYS HE GOT EM AT AUCTION AND KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT THEM JUST THOUGHT THEY WERE COOL, BUT SWEARS THEY WERENT SICK WHEN HE DROPPED EM OFF I MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG HE SAYS, YEAH RIGHT IN THE TWO HOUR TIME SPAN FROM THE TIME HE DROPPED EM OFF AND THE TIME WE GOT HOME AND WENT OUT TO TAKE A LOOK.IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING I MIGHT TRY TILL MY VET GETS HOME PLEASE LET ME KNOW. :help:

2. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that you are having problems with the goats. At the top of the goat forum, there is a thread that has phone numbers of people that are experienced with goats. They are wonderful people. Give one of them a call, even if they are in another state. I have called a couple of times and they were real life savers. Good luck and keep us posted....

3. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Check and make sure they are peeing and pooping ok. Any change can often weaken a goats immune system and they can quickly get a little cold from being transported from one environment to another. If they have a temp, they may need antibiotics like Penicillin. (take their temperature rectally. normal is between approx. 101.5-103.5) You can put some vetRX in their nostrils to help them breath, or use vicks vaporub.

You can give them probiotics or cultured yogurt to help re-establish the rumen microflora. If they haven't been wormed since coming from the auction, you might want to do that too. Check their gums. They should be nice and pink. If greyish or pale they probably have a heavy worm load which can cause anemia and 'no energy'. Worm them once, then again in 10 days. Once your vet comes back, take a fecal sample to him and have him check for worms/parasites. (give a mineral supplement with iron to build up their blood if they have anemia)

Fiasco Farm has descriptions of meds and wormers and their dosage for goats
    http://fiascofarm.com/goats/medications.htm

If the doe is going bald, and if she is scratching there is a possibility they have lice. If you have a flea comb, comb them and check for tiny bugs between the teeth of the comb.You can spray them with any barn fly spray like Bronco (one that contains pyrethrins) or some people dust their goats with Sevin dust. Repeat in 7-10 days.

Give them a good mineral supplement. If your feed store does not have a mineral specifically formulated for goats (do NOT get one that says it is for goats AND sheep....it won't have any copper in it and goats need copper) you can use an equine or cattle mineral. I prefer using a loose mineral over a block, as the goats seem to eat more of it.

For a few days, you might want to give them some nutri-drench or a vitamin/mineral supplement like Pro-Manna for horses or Calf-Manna. Even a human multi-vitamin/mineral will work.

Free choice hay and forage/browse is best. Go easy on the grain if you feed them any.

Good luck and keep us posted

4. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe the antibiotic you are giving them is more for a blood type infection, not upper respitory.

Probios is a good choice & nutri drench to pick up appitite

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

How much do they weigh? About how old are they ? Poop look like raisinets ?

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

For respiratory infection, the best antibiotics to give are Nuflor or Excenel. You have to get them from a vet. Even if a vet doesn't do goats, if they do livestock, they may be willing to sell you some. You weigh the goats and then break the cattle dose down to a goat sized dose. Take the goat's temperatures. They should be between 101.5 and 104. If they have a fever, I would treat with the antibiotics.

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

How are the little goats? Please give an update. I have been a bit out of pocket and have lost touch here a bit. But sure hope all is well. It is somewhat risky to ever buy goats from the auction, I know you didn't, just a warning to others. I hope your little boy is doing okay also. :)

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

How are the little ones doing? Please give us a update. Did you try the Nutri Drench? Try some Karo Syrup, coffee and Whiskey.

9. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

they have been symptom free for 3 days now and are bucking and playing happily! I attribute my sons happiness to all of you;)

10. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

So glad to hear they are doing better. Way to go. :dance: