Please help, Im losing my sanity.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by murphyjamie, Aug 22, 2006.

1. murphyjamie

murphyjamie Well-Known Member

I know you guys are probably tired of reading my posts, however if I'm not able to relax soon, i am going to have to give up this goat thing that I was really enjoying up until now. I have had two problems,1. I grain fed my two little bucks and one got uc at 3months old. Surgery to repair and no grain was fed afterwards. I only fed bermuda hay, free choice minerals, and water. The little guy never put on much weight and last weekend he passed away. Looking back now I dont think the little guys were eating much hay. Not sure how much they should eat to judge that. With that being said, I threw out all of my old hay and bought new hay and a little doe to go with my remaining wether. I tether them up in the evenings and offer her some grain. She eats maybe about a half a cup and then gets anxious about being on the leash. Her breeder claims that she was eating three cups a day before. Now I am scared that she is going to decline and end up like the last goat. Someone please give me some peace of mind. Is it ok to keep offering her the grain for about 15 minutes and then pick it up and rely on the hay from there? My other option is to give them both a few cups of grain in the evening and leave it out till the next morning, but then I'm afraid the little wether will end up with UC again. I think I'm going to need anxiety medicine for myself soon.

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you feeding the same brand of feed as the breeder? That's the first thing I would check, as goats don't like to have their feed changed around.

We also feed coastal, since it's the only thing we can buy reasonably in this area, but I don't think it would be sufficient as the only feed. Do they have access to graze as well? If not, you might want to consider supplementing a higher quality hay.

It may also be that your little doe simply will not eat because she is anxious about being tethered. Is it necessary for your arrangement to tether her while she eats?

I would not leave feed out overnight, as it will only encourage rodents.

mary

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I agree. Make sure you've got the same grain as the breeder. I also tether my goats to make sure they get their ration and thier ration ONLY, and the first few times young kids are tethered for feeding they sometimes are anxious. As long as she is out on pasture during the day and has hay, she shouldn't have any problem. I don't feed grain to my non-procuding animals and older kids. I do have two does in milk right now who get grain untill thier kids are weaned and they stop producing, and 4 growing kids that get grain. After the kid are weaned and the two sold ones go to thier new home, the adults will be getting no grain, just the two kids. During the winter, if I have good hay out there 24/7, then I don't have to give grain. If the hay isn't so good, I feed grain as well. They always get water, minerals, and baking soda free choice. My bucks haven't had grain since the end of winter, and they are the fattest of the bunch... They look pregnant, and all they have is pasture. Most goats do more than fine without grain.

4. murphyjamie

murphyjamie Well-Known Member

other than bermuda, what would you consider to be a higher quality hay?

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course, coastal is bermuda. Preferred hay for goats would be alfalfa, which is way too overpriced for me, though I am giving mine alfalfa pellets now that the grass is all brown.
    Those are about the only choices for hay here; I don't know what you have in your area. Again, you might ask your breeder. When we were in Colorado, the feed stores sold something called orchard grass, as I recall, that my goats refused to eat. So, again, you want something your goats are accustomed to.
    mary