Please help, ideas to keep chickens out

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tnborn, Apr 28, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    I need help and ideas to keep chickens out of my garden. We put up a silt fence and this is not working. They keep finding ways to get out of the coop.
    Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
    thanks,
    tnborn

2. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

How big is the Garden? I am building a hoop covered with wire to keep mine out of my strawberry patch.

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

PVC hoops are cheap, easy and fast. You can cover them with that deer netting that is 7' X 100'? I did this for years in my front yard to get flowerbeds established. You can make the hoops pretty big if you pvc cement the connections and slide it over rebar? If it keeps out deer, it should keep out chickens! Good luck!

hollym

4. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
  5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

a silt fence are the small fences you see around construction sites...they aer about 18" tall. That explains why the chicken are getting in there. They can hop 5 & 6' fences, so a silt fence isn't even an obsticle.

Pen the chickens or fence the garden.

6. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy tnborn....I have free range chickens that always dug up around my rose bushes..well i came across this natural pesticide spray for veggies and roses and guess what my chickens dont bother any plants any more....5-6 cloves fresh galic-1tsp cooking oil blend together in food chopper..dumnp into cheese cloth and strain over measuring cup..pour into a spray bottle and fill with water...shake well before applying to plants...respray after rains....can also use 1tsp of dish liquid instead of cooking oil.....not sure if the garlic will effect the tatste of my tomatoes but will soon find out lol....good luck dale anne...ps i also spray this around the bottom of the rabbit cages and seems to keep the fly's away also...dale anne

7. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I want to thank all of you for your advice. It will all be tried. Birdie, the silt fence was my husbands idea. I was hoping that it would work. It was an expensive idea. I like my chickens but I am about ready to target practice :D
    Again, thanks everyone.
    tnborn

8. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Every so often I go into the coop in the evening when everyone is "home" and I clip their wings.....takes care of the flying over my 4' chicken fence that I put up for them. I gave up keeping them out of the flowers so I fenced off this pasture out of 4' chicken wire and so far it's working great. They are keeping the grass and weeds ate down and leaving my strawberries and flowers alone.I don't know how big the pasture is but it took 300 feet of wire...big enough to keep them happy and not trying to always get out. Best wishes!