Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
HomesteadHopefuls
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been putting off writing this post for a few days now,
wondering how to say what I need to say,,,here goes......
sorry it will be long winded..

Please forgive me as I am not going to be able to send out my
Christmas cards. when I signed up I fully believed I would be at a point to be able to come up with the extra moneys it would take.
due to unforeseen circumstances, such as, the love of my life ending up at St. louis, with his cardiologist wanting to keep him in the hospital,which he refused due to $$ , and due to not getting the contract on our little homestead we thought would be ours,so now we are looking for a place, already had to board my horses,and put the goats in "foster care" or sell them,no chickens right now as its alot easier to set up a chick home once we have a home again,
anyway, there are so many other things that will/has taken the $$$
I am in the midst of starting another job, one I know I will love, but has no benefits,so I will have to keep my much disliked job, working midnights,which is really hard to take care of the love of my life and to take care of my Dad,which is why I moved here..

I just cannot spend the $60.00 dollars to send out cards at this time.
I am truly sorry for this as cards are about the only tradition I have kept thru the years since the kids grew up and made their own traditions.
I am going to save all the cards I have ready to mail, and will hope to find them next year and mail them to you all.

Thank you all for all the beautiful cards I have received,
you don't know how they have touched my heart...
I would like to wish all of you a very blessed Christmas.
may you all have a wonderful holi day season.

with a heavy heart,

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Christine

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
It is a strange and trying time right now...
relax. breathe.
We have had to let many things go.
I am not buying a single gift this year.
Not one.
Nope.
Sometimes you just have to prioritize and let go.
Everyone understands it is a different world than it was last year.
Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Christine

Totally understand. This is supposed to be something to make you feel good not another burden. I am happy you are getting pleasure from the cards you are receiving. I hope they help uplift you and give you energy to move ahead.

Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Things happen, sweetheart :) Don't worry about it, and take care of what needs to be done!

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Do what's important and forget the rest. Take it a day at a time.

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
I hope things work out for you. It's the thought that counts.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
It's a trying year for many this year. Don't feel like you are rowing that boat alone. I pray things will get better for you soon. Also, tell your hubby he needs to talk to the hospital social worker. There are several programs available to cover cost of those in need. His health is more important than money.

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
I know how you feel about letting people down. It has been an act of great will not to go into shopping mode these last few days to do the holiday for the kids we've done in the past few years. But even if I've got credit on the charge cards, we couldn't pay it back in January... so no matter how much I might want to, or how disappointed I think they might be with the unexpected come down from previous years, we simply can't do it. I've taken the cards out of my wallet to make sure I don't slip up over the next week.

My current mantra is "they don't have to have, they don't have to have..." and "it will be ok, it will be fine.."

But if I see one more commercial asking for a donation of a toy because it is "so sad when a child doesn't have a toy under the tree" I think I'm going to scream.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Please don't feel bad. Sometimes life throws us for a loop, it happens to everyone at some point and I feel that many right now especially are in difficult situations. I truly hope that you feel joy when you receive the cards from everyone here as that is how they are meant to make you feel. Take care of yourself and yours and I pray that 2009 brings a great turn around for you all!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Don't spend another second worrying about this! Just enjoy with cards you receive! I hope the New Year starts off better for you!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Do you want to send them out? Do you think that if you had some stamps it would make your heart feel lighter???
I have a few extras that I can send you. And I am sure others here could dig through their purses/wallets and find some also! Just say the word and they'll be in the mail!!!
I even have 30 extra cards I can send ya!! :D
Both my DH and I are laid off from our jobs, and sending out those cards made me feel all warm and fuzzy instead of sad and depressed!

Sooo,,Whatcha Think!!!!
:)

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Oh Christine,

Let me offer to help you out here. There are still lots of ways to deal with this concern.

You can always do what I do. Reverse the address labels so the person you want to send the card to is the return and yours is the to: then just don't put the stamp on to begin with, and toss them in the mail. What will happen is the Post Office won't deliver them, they will return them to the SENDER, (which is where you want them to go to to begin with....)

The other great frugal tip I can offer is, (I always used to do this when I was dating back in high school) Look, it's just a fact that girls always want you to spend your hard earned money on them. If you're dating, it's really important. The length of time you've been dating, depends on the amount of money considered acceptable.

So, normally sometime around or before Thanksgiving, I'd always find some lame reason to break up with them. It could be from anything like not liking their new hair-cut, to swearing they were flirting with some guy in the halls of the school. The key, was to always break up just before the holiday season, and not go back out until AFTER Valentines Day. (Because, you guessed it, ....girls want something from a guy then too!)

This dating "technique" must have saved me hundreds over the years, sometimes, if I really didn't like the girl enough, I'd find out when her birthday was, and just cut it off about a week before, saving even more cold hard cash.... (WHAT?, ...I see what you're thinking by now, NO I'm not a jerk, if it was a case I really didn't want to go back out with her, I'd set up one of my guy friends to go out with her.) In a lot of ways, I was like the original "e-Harmony" guy, matching up people all over high school.

Well, in case you're wondering, that plan really did work well until one year at Thanksgiving when my family was all gathered around the table, (wondering when I'd give that, "I've been thinking, things are not working out..." speech, with the girl I was currently dating, (one who made it through all of last years "cuts" and I liked her enough to skip the talk and see what happened. ....We got married. It's been 23 years now, and I'm still buying her presents.

But my point to you Christine, is you could break-up with all of your friends now.

or,..... you could send out e-cards to all of those that have e-mail. Even if you don't send an actual e-card, you could just take a picture or something and send that along with a short little note.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
You can always do what I do. Reverse the address labels so the person you want to send the card to is the return and yours is the to: then just don't put the stamp on to begin with, and toss them in the mail. What will happen is the Post Office won't deliver them, they will return them to the SENDER, (which is where you want them to go to to begin with....)

The other great frugal tip I can offer is, (I always used to do this when I was dating back in high school) Look, it's just a fact that girls always want you to spend your hard earned money on them. If you're dating, it's really important. The length of time you've been dating, depends on the amount of money considered acceptable.
You ARE joking, right???

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
ha
my mil used to do this when she was 8 or 9
but I'm pretty sure it's illegal ;)

to Christine - I'm not in on the card exchange, but I'm sure no one here will have hard feelings about not receiving your card - most people here would rather you take care of yourself & your hubby & enjoy a wonderful holiday

TAKE CARE

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Oh Christine,

Let me offer to help you out here. There are still lots of ways to deal with this concern.

Sounds very dishonest and illegal. No wonder our postage goes up, wonder how many people do this. That sounds like stealing postage to me.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I did not sign up for the card exchange but I don't think anyone here will think bad of you. We can't always predict what the future will bring. Just focus on taking care of your DH and try not to stress, this should be a time for joy and not heavy hearts.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Do you want to send them out? Do you think that if you had some stamps it would make your heart feel lighter???
I have a few extras that I can send you. And I am sure others here could dig through their purses/wallets and find some also! Just say the word and they'll be in the mail!!!
I even have 30 extra cards I can send ya!! :D
Both my DH and I are laid off from our jobs, and sending out those cards made me feel all warm and fuzzy instead of sad and depressed!

Sooo,,Whatcha Think!!!!
:)
Yes, I know I have lots of odds and ends of stamps here. It seems like every time I go looking for some I can't find them, so I buy more, then I find a few left from the last book. If you want to, send me a PM with your address and I can send you some.

And things happen, and everyone understands that. Don't beat yourself up about it, you have a lot of things on your plate right now, as Nette said.

Kayleigh

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Don't worry about this Christine. Your heartfelt message above is all the Christmas Card I could want. It's wonderful that you share with us here on HT and that's the entire point of sending Christmas greetings anyways - to let others know we care. You are a good heart and need not worry about this card exchange any longer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts