Please critique our floor plan.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Anataq, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Here is a basic drawing of our floor plan, and ideas, or comment are appreciated. We had complete blue prints created, but at this point we can still make changes.

The blue prints only show down stairs, the upstairs is over the pantry, bath and master bedroom only, the rest of the building is clear story. The upstaris has a shed type dormer that covers the upstairs bath and part of each of the upstairs bedrooms.

Click on the link and then scroll down and click on the FLOOR PLAN button.

http://www.pawcreekhomestead.com/Construction.html

-Thanks,
    Anataq

2. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I like it a lot, especially the pantry and the mudroom. Those are a must in the next home we build. It looks like a very comforable home and easy to heat. Show us some photos as you build. Good luck.

3. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Are you planning to do a lot of food processing? I dont know if you have enough counter space if you are.
    Other than that, looks great :)

4. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Yes we will be doing quite a bit of food processing. Not sure how to overcome the counter space issue. I suppose we could design a removable table piece that would connect the island and the counter. May have to adjust the Island postion though. Hmmmm.

-Anataq

5. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

I would make the pantry the mudroom and the mudroom the pantry. By making the mudroom the pantry, you would have the food convenient and right off the kitchen At 10 x 6, it is still plenty large for a lot of food. By making the pantry the mudroom, you have room for washer, dryer, sewing, shoes, coats, ironing, etc. You also have room to put in a sink and counter that you can use for garden veggies as they come in from outside. It can also accommodate cabinets for kitchen stuff that you only use occasionally leaving the cabinets in your kitchen for the stuff you use regularly.

6. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

I would like to see you add another toilet in your mudroom/pantry. It will come in handy and you will have the plumbing near. Or even add on a few extra square feet to have a laundry room with a toitie and small shower. Just something for you to think about.
    I love the plans other wise.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Agree the location of the pantry and mudroom could be switched and resized even if you need mroe pantry. You have the food storage quite far from the front door (or will groceries come in through the back?) If you BBQ you might like a direct exit (patio door etc.) from the kitchen to a BBQ area. Masonary heater is a nice feature but where do you store wood? Not much cupboard space but there's tons of room to put it everywhere. M Bedroom door needs to swing that way? Not trying to pick, I know there will be lots of things you change as you build. Over all it's a nice basic layout but short on details like washer drier location services etc.

8. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice web site, great pictures, inspirational location. I don't see a closet in the bedroom. At nearly 2000 sq ft, the drawing is misleading and makes the house seem much smaller. I have a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath with living room, dining room, and family room in 1500 sq ft. and it doesn't seem cramped. I think you have room for a second bathroom and more counter space in the kitchen. I agree with the comment on wood storage.

9. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    You have a great looking family, and place to move to! I really enjoyed your website as well. Did I read that correctly, you aren't moving there until 2015? The only thing I'd change is the "move-in" date! Looks like a wonderful place!

10. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

I will look real hard at the Mud room, Pantry idea and I had not considered the landry area in what is now the pantry. There is room in the 6x10 mud room for stacked unit, but that's about all. I did not draw in the closets in the bedrooms, but we will build them in, there is plent of room. There is an upstairs bath, almost directly above the downstair bath (makes the plumbing easier) Our site plan calls for part of the wood storage in a wood shed located straight out from the kitchen door. I would put in a toiet/shower in the mud room, but the toilet system is composting, the composting unit will be located under the house and the straight fall from upstairs makes it real easy. I will try to add a few more details to the plan and update it here in a few min. Good advice on the mud room and kitchen, I agree with the counter space issue, just not sure what to do about it.

-Anataq

11. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Oh one more thing, Backwoods, the move date- I am not being at all specific about the actual move date do to other factors, like the president of my company looking over my website from time to time. I have kind of left it out there, as a some day...eventually when it gets done. Reality is that we are moving along fairly quickly. If you look at our date to close in on the house, we are not far out from it for moving in. The other issue is that we are buying everything cash as we can afford it. When you consider that this is a ground up adventure and we had nearly nothing when we started, it's been slow. Boats ATVs, Land, tools, materials, shipping, clothing, on and on and on and on. We are month to month, pay check to pay check trying to buy the things we need to put all this together. We are both fairly young so we have time, as hard as it may be to wait. Sometimes we just throw our hands up and question why we don't just head up right now. Reality is that we have a plan and realize that we will likely not be able to make this a life long choice if we go about our move unprepared. (health insurance for example)
    The list of chores to learn has been daunting to say the least. I had never skinned our cleaned an animal until last year. Pam had little medical knowledge and raising children in the wilderness we thought that it would be a good idea for both of us to attend emt courses. Home schooling, and correspondece, we are both college educated, but we knew nothing about it, let alone how to get started. How about income, well we devised a fish camp and facility for quest to come up and photograph and explore, have a real alaskan adventure fo there own...We are taking our first six guests this year.
    Lots yet to do, but we have made good progress. Deed is in hand on the land, the only item that we put on time was our larger boat and that is nearly paid off. Next is the large list of building materials. This year we are pouring piers for the foundation and building another storage shed/workshop to help store the materials and appliances as we ship them out. Little bit by little bit we will get it done. We know that many of you have great practical experience with things we have yet to even encounter and we're hoping that as much of it as can will rub off on us along the way. Thanks again.

-Anataq

12. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Four of us grew up in this 20 x 28 two story cabin, without power, pressure water and the toilet was outside.

After they left and grew up to be beautiful and amazing people, then Nancy and I (mainly me - she didn't want it at first and now likes it) turned one of the bedroom areas into a nice bathroom, with WC, Lav, Bathtub, and washing machine. We still use the outhouse and think it's fine.

[​IMG]
    First Floor, Note Three Stoves, Katie-II-The-Cookstove, Ashely (airtight), Pellet Stove

[​IMG]
    Second Floor with New Inside Bathroom

[​IMG]
    Party with Neighbors and Family in Cabin.

13. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Very nice & simple. I also like the idea of switching the mudroom & pantry. It gives you a lot more room for laundry baskets, cold dogs, hanging some clothes on a rack in the winter and maybe some chicks if you want to raise some. As for counter space when you process food, you can put a folding extension on the end of the island counter for more room when needed.

Really nice Alex!!!

14. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

The first thought I had was --the pantry is too far from the kitchen! When we built MIL's house, I did the plans and after she has lived there for 6 yrs. I wish I had put the pantry next to the kitchen. It's only 10 feet down a hall but she is always running back and forth. I did this because she is not a neat/clean person with her house/ kitchen and wanted to keep clutter away from the area that is always seen! Well, guess what?? Now she just sits everything on the counters/bakers rack and it never gets put back! It is my fault but I wish I had moved it to join the kitchen..

I love the long living area--have you done a placement of your furniture yet?? The best way I ahve found that I can tell if things work for ME is to do a 'area use' plan. ask yourself: What will I put where and when, how often will I use that area!

15. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

As a log house builder, I would reccomend the master bedroom wall protrusion either be eliminated or extended out to at least 8 feet, or even 10 feet for the following reasoning:

1: the small 48 inch protrusion does not give you much room for snow, rain clearance coming off a valley if you are using saddle notch logs or butt and pass, and such emptys off towards a window from the dinning area.

2: when building with logs a single roofline is usually the best type of roof to stay with if you are not a Master roof cutter.

3: by extending it out you can also move a single roof line to enclose over a porch for walking out onto from both your master bedroom and your living area.... good place for a hot tub.

3a: a door out of the Master Bedroom to the outside also provides an emergency exit.

Your room size for mudroom and pantry may should be adjusted, we have a 6x10 room where we come in the back porch and have the freezer on so it is really small, our utility room is off that and is 6x6 but i didnt build this house either.

What size water storage tank are you gonna have inside and where is it going to be located? Water is heavy and bulky, but a concrete 2000 gallon tank in the basement will save you from some headaches in extreme cold weather, and saves on the pump as well.

William

16. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Nice drawings Alex, complex yet clear. Perhaps you're an artist and don't know it?

17. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Blu3duk,
    Thanks for the advice. We are not building with logs do to the extreme dificulty in moving the logs to our site and placing them one we've got them there. Two log builders were invoved in our project when we were planning on using logs. Mark Fritch of Mark Fritcy Log Homes and Bill Lasko of the Lasko School of Log Building. The logs on our property would sufice, but much is tapered and not the length we would like. Then there is the dificulty in actually moving them around with and sizable dozer.

That said we've decided to build using Structural Insulated Panels. The panels are fairly light, very strong, have super high R values and go up very quickly. The plan calls for two roof lines, and the overhang is 4'. The overhang on the gable ends is at least double that, not sure the exact, I don't have the plans in front of me, enough to cover a balcony off both upstairs bedrooms. (We are not building the balconies at this point. The basic plans were designed by Allan Mackie, and adjuxtments were made for us by his friend to meet our request. A truss system with log rafters was desiged as part of the original plan. We may still us log rafters to support the panels and accent the interior. The ridge beam is going to be manufactured though. Splices were designed into the ridge pole meeting at the trusses in the orginal design and was quite complexe. (we were not going to do this ourself) The design is much easier now an all precut and fabricated, except for the log rafters.

I agree with the concern about the snow and rain being directed toward the dining window area, just not sure that I can afford to make the structure any bigger by bringing that wall out farther. I am about a my max $, if you know what I mean, and four more feet would add cost to the whole two story section.

18. boolandk

boolandk Well-Known Member

Is there a door between the mudroom and the pantry? If not I would add one. Real handy for hauling in the garden produce for storage.

19. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

I hit enter twice accidently and didn't finish that last post.

The original plan (Mackie) called for a door in the master bedroom leading to the outside, but it is a rather small door and takes up quite a bit of usable space in the bedroom.

Water- currently we are planning on three 1500 gallon poly tanks to be buried along the bedroom wall. We will likely need more water storage though. During the winter we will have to haul water quite a ways. There is no well and we're not sure about digging one-we could not get a rig in if we wanted to. Maybe one of those hand held jobs, but I've never talked to anyone who's used one.

The poly tanks are light and not to dificult to transport via boat, concrete on the other hand is heavy and expensive to move. The foundation is 8" conctete piers- lots of them. A basement, or even a continuous foundation would be difficult to build to say the least.

-Anataq

20. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

After living in a 100 year old house for 15 years with 4 children we have finally puchased our first home. Although it is much bigger and we now have land, I am keeping a list of things I would change incase we ever a. remodel b. build somewhere else or c. buy another pre-made house.

One of the things I would change is that we do not have enough natural light in several rooms. The rooms I feel that it is most important to have more light and some other features are:

Mudroom/laundry room - I can never read directions or see a stain on clothing unless I turn on the lights and even then I sometimes step outside to get a better look.

The kitchen - we spend a lot of time there. I wish I had a skylight and bigger windows. Also I wish we had a place for compost to be taken outside and a place to put our recycling fairly close by. We try to recycle everything that it is possible to recycle. This keeps our garbage bill down and less hauling for dh to the dump. We also do not have enough counter space. Another thing that is a problem is that I cannot reach things in the corner cabinets. I am only 5'4" and the counters get in the way of me being able to get close enough to reach things. I will have to buy a small step stool at some point. Also, being that we have a large family we need large pots and pans. We need a place to store these. I wish I had a way to hang them. One feature I do love is that above our double oven we have a large cabinet with vertical dividers. I use this area to put in my baking pans, pizza pans, large serving trays..etc. It keeps them so accessible. One of my most favorite features of the home.

Our homeschool room - we need more light in there and the windows face the wrong direction.

Just some thoughts!

BlessedMom