Please can I brag a little bit?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by wr, Dec 25, 2006.

1. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm so proud of my kids and want to take a minute to brag. I've always taught them that Christmas is not about gifts and the gimme part of the holiday. My BIL has just had cancer surgery and he was released on the 24th and he's a consultant so money is a bit tight at the moment. They chose to have the usual family dinner but asked that we might bring something for the meal and my kids certainly met their obligations but a couple weeks ago, they called and told me that they were broke and didn't want to exchange any gifts at all. The same people that drive me crazy on occasion had taken the money they usually use for me and their grandparents, as well as a portion of their Christmas bonus to beef up my two preteen neices gift piles. They felt that it was incredibly important to make very sure that the girls lives remain as normal as possible and that their holiday was as terrific as usual. I couldn't be more proud of them and feel that they gave me the greatest gift ever, the knowledge that they are selfless, kind and perceptive to the needs of others. The two girls went from thinking that it was the worst Christmas ever to having a great one, dad was home from the hospital and three cousins made sure that they had a great day, skating, playing outside, decorating a tree in the yard and a whole bunch of special gifts. The whole thing was touching enough that their grandfather, a tough old cowboy, shed a few tears.

2. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Wr, you certainly got the best gift of all, your kids demonstrating that you raised them right! Congratulations!

3. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    What a great Christmas gift for your kids and your whole family! You SHOULD be bragging! You did good on those kids you raised...I'm sure we all wonder at times, and then they surprise us!

It would be a toss up who was more blessed--the receivers or the givers...or maybe even those who were witness to it all.

Merry Christmas!

4. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've continually told them that giving is what matters and the expectations of receiving are arrogant. Of course, I've also told them that one should not have haircuts that make them look like they just got out of bed and tatoos might be cute now but maybe not so much later on so I guess they still continue to filter out parental information. I think the lesson was well learned because I'm not sure if the little kids or the big kids had more fun out of the whole experience. I really shouldn't pick on them, the two older ones are fairly serious about leaving the world a better place and the younger one just wants the world to be fun at all times. It was quite funny watching his great big self walking with his petite cousins in tow to go skating and we didn't need a ladder to put ornaments in the tree in the yard as long as we had him. We adults were thrilled with the level of happy noise.

5. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Great Job, Mom. How wonderful to know they listened and took to heart what you taught them.