Please Answer Quick..like, By This Evening!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by chicken little, Jun 15, 2005.

1. chicken little

chicken little Member

Okay here is the deal.

My neighbor just moved away. His place is empty and there are some grape vine plants in the garden. I want one (okay, maybe two) for a start. How would I go about getting one without damaging it?

2. chicken little

chicken little Member

Oh, and once I got it, then what?
    In the soil? or in some water?
    Thanks.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

first thing you do is ask permission.

4. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I'm going to have to agree with Marvella on this one chicken little.

How would you feel if you bought a new home and the charming gardens or vegetation were pillaged by the neighbors before you moved in. Not a real nice welcome to the neighborhood.

5. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Grape Vines are pretty cheap at your local garden store. Most are on sale right now. They are very hardy...so even if they don't look so well..as long as the roots are ok.....the plant will grow! You can probably take just a cutting and dip in a rooting media and stick in some potting soil.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

old german fellow gave me starter grape vines from cutting of his rambling vines. He rooted them in sand inside of half gallon of the square milk cartons. I just cut off the bottom of the milk carton to transplant around the chicken coop.
    Now about 10 years later the vines ramble up, down, around and climb about 30 ft. up into the nearby spruce tree. Apparently, they are not hard to propagate...at least not the wild type variety I have growing.

7. Pot Stirrer

Pot Stirrer New Member

Do you all really think her snipping one off is going to be that big of a deal?
    I always keep pruning shears in the truck, so does this apply to a sniplet off a public plant as well?.

8. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

I didn't think you could cut grape vines while the sap was flowing

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Take clippings from the woody part of the vine, the green part will not survive by itsself, stick it into a mixture of water and a small amount of honey untill it sprouts new growth, then place it in soil, keep moist for a few days until it returns to new growth. Everybody should know by now that an ask for clipping never sprouts, only the stolden ones do.

10. chicken little

chicken little Member

:haha: moopups.

Thanks a bunch veryone for the reply.
    :worship: moo, you've been such a great help!

11. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Snipping one off without the permission of the owner is theft plain and simple.

12. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

so what - do it and they will never know...

13. skruzich

Its unbelievable how some people will justify theft and say oh well, no one will know, or its only a cutting or they won't miss it.
    If you take anything without permission its stealing. It doesn't matter if someone will not miss it, or its going to go to waste, or its going to be destroyed, its still stealing when you don't have permission to take it. Where has peoples concience as well as moral values gone? I thought homesteading and the concepts that are present here espouse moral values. Obviously some people have no problem with theft unless its done to them. Its so simple yall, just go ask the owner if you can have a cutting! How hard is that!

14. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

Well, I can justify it although I don't see reason to. It's a food item not a purty flower. As long as you're going to make grape jelly or eat it, and not wine, go for it. The bible says to always leave some things in the fields for needy people and I see no harm in it. Put the stem in sand and peat moss, moist, with the top cut off to propagate. Look for a stem that is a third (extra stem) which would happen in normal pruning anyway. Good luck.

15. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    OMG! A grass blade is missing from sector 4,217, subsection 219, site 418!! Never mind, its just a bird eating or taking something for its nest, just one of GODs creatures trying to find something to eat......

Are birds seeking food thieves? Are we humans so much above the birds? Who defines the differance between birds and humans? Obeviously not humans.

16. skruzich

I don't know where the line from right and wrong got distorted or disapeared but if you go onto someone elses property and take anything from that property without permission of the owner, be it a cutting, or a blade of grass, or a 1000 dollar piece of equipment, its still stealing.
    You are entering someones property and violating their property rights. what if someone comes in and steals watermelons or corn or anything from your garden.
    Are you going to say oh well they must have needed it? If 100 people and take something from your garden are you going to react the same way? I'll bet your going to be screaming bloody murder for someone to do soemthing about them.

AGAIN the question i asked before, whats so hard about contacting the owner and getting permission to get a cutting?? Really is that such a imposition and isn't that the right thing to do?

17. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Moopups,

I guess you haven't read my post about birds and tomato plants. Those theiving birds are about to meet their maker if they keep it up!

Nikki

18. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Becky,

The difference is that in the case of allowing the poor to glean from a farmer's field is that the farmer has made the CHIOCE to extend an act of Charity. The bible also says thou shalt no steal.

My goodness, a quick intro to the new neighbors and a request for a cutting could save a lot of headache in the future and instead of a possible enemy, the original poster will most likely end up with a new friend.

Nikki

19. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i thought first how i would feel if i moved from my home place, and some neighbor felt free to take what they want from my place after i was gone.

i wouldn't like it, and would want to be asked. whether i knew about it or not.

moopup- i bet if you look at it that way, you'd feel the same. would you want someone prowling over your place after you'd left?

whatever happened to good, old fashioned do unto others?

you reap what you sow...

20. NewEnglandBeth

NewEnglandBeth Well-Known Member

Why not bake a nice cake for the new neighbors, bring it over, and ask them if they would mind you digging a grape vine?

You could establish a nice relationship with these neighbors, especially if they see you waited for them to move in rather than just dig up some grapes. How could they say no if presented with a lucious double chocolate cake with sprinkles???? :)