Play Doctor? Iron Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chickflick, Jun 6, 2004.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Okay.. not being one totally trusting of the Medical INDUSTRY.. :)..... I have had trouble several months with anemia. Iron is very low and absorbtion is not happening.. They've done all the basic tests... gut and colon are fine . SO... while we search for more answers....

I am scheduled Thursday for Iron Therapy.... 56 CC's diluted in an IV bag over a 4 hour period or so. (If I pass the 'test' amount and show no reaction)

NOW.. my question is this... WHAT IF.. let's just say.... my iron couldnt' be replenished in this way? THEN what would we do? The only way it's risen in the past three months is from shots (even tho I have been taking perscription Iron pills). (Normal count is 13 +, and I have only gone from 6.5 to 7.9)

The Doc says, likely.. once this is replenished I should be good as new in a few weeks/months. (That WOULD be nice, since most of the last year or two I've felt like the pics of Auswich survivors LOOK!)

ANYWAY.. any of you got experience with this? Thanks.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless you've had a lower GI or a colon inspection with a camera they may be missing a serious problem there. Been there and nearly died of colon cancer before they finally detected it.

3. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Chickflick, I think the number one thing to suspect with low Iron when no obvious cause can be found is an overgrowth of candida. You can't depend on doctors finding this and they are not going to look for it because they don't believe it exists. They would have to do a stool test and an antibody test can confirm it but there are only a couple of labs in the country that does this. Here's a test you can take to give you some idea if this might be the problem. If this is the problem and you have caught it in the early stages you might correct it with just a good probiotic with multiple strains of bacteria, also yellow dock root is one of the best Iron supplements.
    http://www.fungusfocus.com/html/candida_long_questionnaire.htm

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

add cast iron to your kitchen pots and pans. the scraping of metal to metal (stirring spoon to pan) scrapes off iron and you can get iron in your system that way. Not allot but I think in your case every bit helps!?

5. Have a chest x-ray done. My husband suffered from awful anemia for over two years, had the upper GI, colonoscopy--nuthin! This whole time, they were also treating him for a chronic cough and were prescribing Welbutrin to help him quit smoking. Three months after he quit, he got pneumonia, and they finally did a chest Xray. Non-small cell lung cancer. The anemia cleared up within a month of his surgery. I don't want to scare you, but it could be....even non-smokers get it. Oh, and by the way, it's been two years, and no recurrence, he's doing great!

6. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Please take uncle Will's advice. My sister was low on B vitamins and got colon cancer. The doctors got all of the colon cancer out but because she didn't go to the doctor soon enough the cancer metastasized (spread) and within two years she was gone from cancer in her liver. This was a real waste of a 41 year old beautiful human being that had everything to live for. :waa:

I had this procedure done about three years ago and am really glad I did. I had a polyp in my lower colon that would surely have turned cancerous. I watched the entire procedure including the doctor burning the polyp off. I asked the doctor what causes polyps and he told me if he knew the answer he'd have a medal.

Seeing as how I'm also low on B vitamins, and according to my doctor not anemic, I'll not be missing my next appointment for the up the poop shoot camera session. :no:

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

pernicious anemia can be treated !!, this happens all the time in my medical community ( post op gastric bypass)
    some have to resort to blood transfusions to maintain iron ,
    assuming you were on a high enough dosage of prescription meds** For EX: i take 325 mg , 1x daily, but i know others who take same dosage 3X day .....***
    have you had the h pylori test? h pylori causes ulcers, and sometimes even in non ulcer patients can cause persistent anemia
    have they ruled out fibroids? ectopic preganancy ?
    http://www.anemia.com/

theres help out there

someone reccomended using cast iron to cook with , good idea, do you supplement with fish oil? , its a good idea to get that , so your body can better utilize the iron you do take
    are you taking calcium ??vitamin e or antacids????
    you know to take calcium at least and hour before or after iron ? right? making sur you take vitamin c with your iron ? c helps your body uptake the iron
    you dont drink colas, sodas or coffee , or have at least cut back right ? they interefere with iron absorbtion as well....
    herb wise, chives and dandelions are good for anemia as welll as alfalfa and red raspberry
    food wise,
    salmon,mackerel,black eyed peas,kelp,purple grapes,rasins
    sweeten foods with molasses instead of sugar, you might find you crave that flavor now, and will dislike it as your iron increases

avoid oxalic acid foods, kale, nuts,swiss chard, chocolate
    make sure to take a seperate vitamin b complex supplement , b 12,and folic acid help with iron absorbtion ( GNC has a good liquid supplement that tastes ok, the pills arent as bio available)

good luck , i know its scary, but you can get through this !!!!
    Beth

8. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

The major waste product of yeast cell activity is acetaldehyde and the by-product ethanol. Many people have a low iron content because this mineral is hard to absorb when Candida is present, and therefore have little oxygen in the tissues. Ethanol can cause excessive fatigue and reduces the strength and stamina which takes away ambition. It destroys enzymes needed for cell energy and causes the release of free radicals that encourages the aging process. Candida Albicans in an incredible destroyer of health and is the main missing link in many of our modern day diseases and sub-health conditions.

9. I have successfully used Yellow Dock Root to increase iron absorbtion. It's worked for me and others I've recommended it to. Hope you feel better soon :)

10. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

Oil of oregano works good on Candida.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Is it only iron that you are low on? My daughter has celiac disease which causes malabsorption. Her vit K dropped to the point that she was having a lot of strange looking bruises and her calcium levels were way low even with 1000mg of absorbable liquid calcium and over a quart of milk a day. And she takes a hi potency multi vitamin. Have they done antibody tests for celiac to rule it out? It is controlable with diet. You will also have symptoms of candida overgrowth with uncontrolled celiac.

12. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm with the others who think you need more testing. i had serious anemia as a kid --- had to take this syrup stuff :no: all the time --- and discovered some years later I had undiagnosed celiac disease.

It is a very, very common disorder for people of Irish and Mediterranean descent, so much so that school age children in Italy are routinely tested for it --- and it's why there's all those pics of Irish kids looking pale and sickly with big, malnourishment bellies. It's a kind of gluten intolerance -- I can't remember if it means your body doesn't have the enzymes to digest wheat or if it doesn't have those little cilia things needed to digest wheat or :confused: In any case, celiac disease leads to malnutrition, including anemia, because not only can you not digest the wheat but your guts get totally messed up and you can't absorb nutrients. Tests involve biopsies of the intestines ... but no big deal, really.

In any case, given what uncle will and others have said, and my own experience as a kid, it sounds like you need some fairly thorough testing of your GI tract, just to be on the safe side.

13. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

now, i dont know this for a fact but, i have always hear that lead will replace iron in the blood and cause the iron to not be able to be absorbed. in which the problem could be lead. We live in a high risk area for lead and usually do tests on the kids at around age 2. And that has been a long time ago, so i hope i am remembering this correctly. but it could be something to check out.
    hope you get better soon.

Belinda

14. To add to or qualify some of the previous posts, you might look at these sources:
    NIH answers many questions http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/iron.html
    and Harvards excellent website at http://sickle.bwh.harvard.edu/iron_absorption.html

"A number of dietary factors influence iron absorption. Ascorbate and citrate increase iron uptake in part by acting as weak chelators to help to solubilize the metal in the duodenum (Table 1) (Conrad and Umbreit, 1993). Iron is readily transferred from these compounds into the mucosal lining cells. Conversely, iron absorption is inhibited by plant phytates and tannins. These compounds also chelate iron, but prevent its uptake by the absorption machinery (see below). Phytates are prominent in wheat and some other cereals, while tannins are prevalent in (non-herbal) teas.

Lead is a particularly pernicious element to iron metabolism (Goya, 1993). Lead is taken up by the iron absorption machinery, and secondarily blocks iron through competitive inhibition. Further, lead interferes with a number of important iron-dependent metabolic steps such as heme biosynthesis. This multifacted attack has particularly dire consequences in children, were lead not only produces anemia, but can impair cognitive development. Lead exists naturally at high levels in ground water and soil in some regions, and can clandestinely attack children's health. For this reason, most pediatricians in the U.S. routinely test for lead at an early age through a simple blood test."

Affecting iron uptake
    Inhibitors: phytates, tannins, soil clay, laundry starch, iron overload, antacids
    Competitors: lead, cobalt, strontium, manganese, zinc
    Facilitators: ascorbate, citrate, amino acids, iron deficiency

15. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

To add to Unregistered informative post: :)

I just went to Celiac.com (http://www.celiac.com) and found one study that found 8% of people with anemia tested positive for celiac disease.

They've also posted articles showing they've found definitive links between celiac disease and migraines. :rolleyes: Geeeeeez, I could have told them that years ago --- as soon as i cut out most of the wheat, I stopped having migraines (which I'd been having virtually all my life :rolleyes: ).

In any case (stay on topic, cg, stay on topic) ... I think you need more testing --- specifically gut-intestinal testing. And so do some other people here. :)

16. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

You know, trusting or not, it might be wisest to leave this up to the professionals whether they be doctors of western medicine, naturopaths... what have you, as long as they're trained and accredited. That's what they all went to school for.

I know that for my anemia, I took alfalfa and that cleared me right up. that was years ago and as long as I incorporate it into my diet I'm fine. However, it sounds like you may hve more complicated thigns going on than a very mild iron absorption problem eh?

talk to your friendly doc.

17. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

Another couple of possibilities, in addition to the celiac and other cuases mentioned, could be (this is my soapbox, please excuse) aspartame poisoning if you drink diet pop or use Nutrasweet or eat foods with Nutrasweet/aspartame in them. I was like you, tired all the time and getting worse, went to a couple of local family practitioners who said it was just my age (early 50's) and the fact that I taught school (well, junior highers are a challenge). Then went to a holistic doctor, wonderful woman, but she tested for food allergies and didn't find much there. Then was referred to an internist, who did find out that I had had mononucleosis recently, which made me glad to know it, but mad that I hadn't known when I was so tired I could barely drag myself through the day - I would've called in sick at least once if I'd known the Tiredness had a name!! But it just kept getting worse, hemoglobin and iron were low, etc. This forum saved my life, not the doctors, because of a post that alerted me to the dangers of aspartame, a very legal and very dangerous poison that is in a lot of food, specifically diet sodas and in a lot of "sugar-free" foods. If you get rid of the aspartame, (this may not apply to you, but others may need to know) the symptoms go away. In this country, there is an epidemic of "MS" and "lupus" but much of it is directly correlated to the ingestion of aspartame, a neurotoxin.
    For more information, see following websites or do a search for Aspartame Dangers: www.sweetpoison.com or www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm
    To make it simple: ingesting aspartame is the same as going down to the funeral home and asking them to pour you a Big Gulp of formaldehyde, and then pour in wood alcohol, so you can drink it. That is what it turns into in your body - no wonder a lot of people are so sick, and getting worse. :no: I hope you find your answers, keep trying to find information and many people here are giving good advice. Will pray for your recovery and hope it is soon.