Plastic containers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Stephen in SOKY, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a source for plastic containers? I'm planning now for mums next year & would like to find a source for a few hundred 1 or 2 gallon containers. Thanks, Stephen

2. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

wonder if baskin robbins there in bowling green would give you their empty ice cream containers?

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

4. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Yeah but 1 and 2 gallon containers aint cheap no more. Uhmm Do a google search for horticulture nursery suppliers. You will find a ton of them. Usually though you will have to go through a nursery to get them. The other suppliers only sell in bulk like a Gaylord box full. Those run big bucks.
    I saw in the paper the other day someone was trying to sell their used containers for .75 a piece, i can get them used from a nursery for either free or no more than .15 a piece.

IF YOU BUY USED, you must wash them, sterilize them with bleach by soaking for 1 min in a bucket of bleach water and then rinse off and dry.
    OTHERWISE you will be exposing your plants to various diseases that might remain on the pots.

5. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses. They sure don't give them away! I'll remember the cleaning tips if I can find some used ones. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks, Stephen

6. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Ya' know any landscapers?If not,stop off at whatever landscaping installs ya' see,and ask if they have any plans for 'em.
    I'm a landscaper,and we trash those things by the hundreds.Some of the nurseries I deal with will buy them back,but what they offer really aint worth the trouble,so they go to the burn pile.Pretty much all I save anymore are the 15 and 30 gallon pots.

7. wottahuzzee

wottahuzzee Well-Known Member Supporter

8. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

hummert is a greenhouse supply store. they mail order. out of st. louis. they have pretty reasonable prices. i bought 2500 3 inch pots for $75. they sell everything for gardening and greenhouses. they wholsale every one elses stuff. i have had real good luck with them.
    randy