plants from cuttings

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moonwolf, Oct 31, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I've started most of the plants for the garden from seed, including tomato, lettuce, asparagus, onions...you name it. These were then either repotted to grow to hardness and transplant to the garden.

What plant varieties can anyone suggest to grow from seed, and then take cuttings to restart new plants? These are obviously clones to the origninal plant from which the cutting was taken.

And for an example, if a cutting from a tomato seedling is taken to start another plant, how big should the seed started plant be? and what part of that seed plant should the cutting be taken from?and how big should the cutting be?
    Any hints for rooting?
    List of plants best suited for cloning from cuttings?

Sorry the the multiple questions on this. :worship:

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

What a lot of people do is take the suckers (branches that grow out of the main stem and a branch) and remove these from the tomato plant to start new plants. They believe that the original plant will produce more. I do it because I'd like to stagger my tomato production.

I take cuttings of many things to make more plants. I'll start out with a few impatients in the springs and multiply to many.

I cut back mums on memorial day and July 4th so that I have tons of plants by the fall when they bloom.

I do cuttings of coleus and sweet potato vine. At this time of year I'll be propagating many of the landscaping plants (azalea, rose, eucalyptus, forsythia, etc..)

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I pretty much do what Mid Tn Mama does. Most of the time I just put them into water until they root, although this summer I tryed some rooting compound and directly into soil and got great results. I start coleus, geraniums etc. from seed fairly early and then take many cuttings off the original until I have what I want for my gardens and planters.

4. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Sandi

6. foxpawz

foxpawz Well-Known Member

Could I take cuttings from mums that I have planted this year and pot them up in the greenhouse for over wintering? Thanks for any information.

7. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

You can make a good rooting stimulant just by soaking some willow branches in water.

8. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes you can get cuttings/starts from this years bloomed out chrysanthemums. When you cut back the dead stuff you'll see little fresh green leaves round the base of the plant. You can remove these when they are couple of inches long and stick them in dirt to root. You may even find some of them have little roots attached when you take off the parent plant.

PQ

9. foxpawz

foxpawz Well-Known Member

Thank you so much. I'll be busy today.