Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started most of the plants for the garden from seed, including tomato, lettuce, asparagus, onions...you name it. These were then either repotted to grow to hardness and transplant to the garden.

What plant varieties can anyone suggest to grow from seed, and then take cuttings to restart new plants? These are obviously clones to the origninal plant from which the cutting was taken.

And for an example, if a cutting from a tomato seedling is taken to start another plant, how big should the seed started plant be? and what part of that seed plant should the cutting be taken from?and how big should the cutting be?
Any hints for rooting?
List of plants best suited for cloning from cuttings?

Sorry the the multiple questions on this. :worship:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
What a lot of people do is take the suckers (branches that grow out of the main stem and a branch) and remove these from the tomato plant to start new plants. They believe that the original plant will produce more. I do it because I'd like to stagger my tomato production.

I take cuttings of many things to make more plants. I'll start out with a few impatients in the springs and multiply to many.

I cut back mums on memorial day and July 4th so that I have tons of plants by the fall when they bloom.

I do cuttings of coleus and sweet potato vine. At this time of year I'll be propagating many of the landscaping plants (azalea, rose, eucalyptus, forsythia, etc..)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,983 Posts
I pretty much do what Mid Tn Mama does. Most of the time I just put them into water until they root, although this summer I tryed some rooting compound and directly into soil and got great results. I start coleus, geraniums etc. from seed fairly early and then take many cuttings off the original until I have what I want for my gardens and planters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Mid Tn Mama said:
What a lot of people do is take the suckers (branches that grow out of the main stem and a branch) and remove these from the tomato plant to start new plants. They believe that the original plant will produce more. I do it because I'd like to stagger my tomato production.

I take cuttings of many things to make more plants. I'll start out with a few impatients in the springs and multiply to many.

I cut back mums on memorial day and July 4th so that I have tons of plants by the fall when they bloom.

I do cuttings of coleus and sweet potato vine. At this time of year I'll be propagating many of the landscaping plants (azalea, rose, eucalyptus, forsythia, etc..)
Could I take cuttings from mums that I have planted this year and pot them up in the greenhouse for over wintering? Thanks for any information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,798 Posts
diane said:
I pretty much do what Mid Tn Mama does. Most of the time I just put them into water until they root, although this summer I tryed some rooting compound and directly into soil and got great results. I start coleus, geraniums etc. from seed fairly early and then take many cuttings off the original until I have what I want for my gardens and planters.
You can make a good rooting stimulant just by soaking some willow branches in water.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Yes you can get cuttings/starts from this years bloomed out chrysanthemums. When you cut back the dead stuff you'll see little fresh green leaves round the base of the plant. You can remove these when they are couple of inches long and stick them in dirt to root. You may even find some of them have little roots attached when you take off the parent plant.

PQ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
PonderosaQ said:
Yes you can get cuttings/starts from this years bloomed out chrysanthemums. When you cut back the dead stuff you'll see little fresh green leaves round the base of the plant. You can remove these when they are couple of inches long and stick them in dirt to root. You may even find some of them have little roots attached when you take off the parent plant.

PQ
Thank you so much. I'll be busy today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
What a lot of people do is take the suckers (branches that grow out of the main stem and a branch) and remove these from the tomato plant to start new plants. They believe that the original plant will produce more. I do it because I'd like to stagger my tomato production.

I take cuttings of many things to make more plants. I'll start out with a few impatients in the springs and multiply to many.

I cut back mums on memorial day and July 4th so that I have tons of plants by the fall when they bloom.

I do cuttings of coleus and sweet potato vine. At this time of year I'll be propagating many of the landscaping plants (azalea, rose, eucalyptus, forsythia, etc..)
What is your method for taking cuttings from eucalyptus? I've tried with rooting hormone and just can't get them to root.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,342 Posts
I've never done eucalyptus so I have no useful tips. But according to the site below it can be done. You have to keep the cuttings warm and humid.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/eucalyptus/propagating-eucalyptus-plants.htm
"
  • Choose 4-inch long mature shoots during June/July and dip the bottom tips of the cuttings in rooting hormone for about 30 seconds. Eucalyptus cuttings should have at least one budding leaf but if it has sprouting leaves, break these off.
  • Fill a pot with perlite and position the cuttings down into the medium with the rooting hormone end covered. Allow the pot to absorb water until moistened through its bottom hole set into a saucer filled with water and then cover the pot with a plastic bag and place in a warm location.
  • Rooting eucalyptus cuttings for propagation should remain in temperatures about 80-90 F. (27-32 C.). Keep moist and hopefully after four weeks or so your cuttings will have rooted and will be ready for transplanting."
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top