plants for insect repellant

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by wizzard, May 13, 2005.

1. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

another topic i started lead me to start this 1. what herbs and other plants does everyone here use to repel bugs? how do you process the herbs?

2. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

The kids and I often just rub lemon balm on our skin to repel the skeeters...seems to work.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I always plant marigolds in the garden.

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not sure if you mean bugs like mosquitos on you or bugs in the garden...for mosq. I've read but not yet tried...but I'm going to...is to make a very strong pot of catnip tea (people drink it over in England and say it's good???) and then put it in a spray bottle and spray on yourself before going outside.
    If you mean bugs in the garden...ground up egg shells help keep away soft bodied things like slugs....wasps on ripening fruit should stay away with equal parts ammonia and water poured into cans and hung up in the tree..aphids can usually be controlled by hitting them with a hard stream of water every day for 3-4 days...knocks them off the host and breaks their life cycle.

5. jessimeredith

jessimeredith That's relativity. Supporter

Marigolds and eggshells in the garden (eggshells round my roses too, they love it). For us, Burt's Bees insect repellent (basically lemongrass oil) and I've got lemongrass planted in our favorite places to sit or play in the yard. Ticks, well....ain't found a solid cure for those buggers yet, but I'm open to suggestions!

6. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate