planting trees, hedgerows

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by centexguy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

I have a 30 ac property, witch is about 90% open. i\I want to plant some trees /bushes for for shade and privacy. My property is outside waco tx and the soil is very hard clay.some trees that grow really well are mesquite hackberry cedar post oak. I plantted several hunderd post oak from acorns.Along some of my fencelines there are some really wicked trees with lots of thorns. these would be goodhedge row material I may try some cuttings to see if they will grow. Heres what I would like, some cheap fsat growing trees vines on 6ft fences for shade privacy, to hide some of my good junk. Then I want to plant some nice trees oaks ash maple pecan alittle farther out which can replace to fast trees when the time come.I plan to make several small groves of trees in the different pastures.I will run irrigation lines to each tree to help keep them alive. Anyone with experience n this please give me some hints; fast trees ,bushes vines etc good tree fams please help me out. I have done lots of concrete work (foundations shops patios drives etc) but I need some current lessons on carpenrty framing, septic installation, wiring
    fencing etc. I m always open for barter deals. any ides offers will be considerd.
    thanks, Allen

2. paden

paden Well-Known Member

Check with your local Extension agent, they will be well versed in your area and may be able to get you discounts on large bundles of trees or bushes.

In Montana we put Caragannas, Cottonwood, Pine, sometimes chokecherry or dogwood in the shelter belts and we get real good deals on bundles (1000 plants or so) every spring so we are able to get new stuff going whenever we like.

3. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

In Missouri..those old treelines are all "Hedge" or Osage Orange. They are a wicked tree! The thorns are like steel and will pierce a tractor tire in a heartbeat. We've only found one chemical that will kill the root after you cut it down. If you don't treat the stump..they grow right back in short time.

Here we have Red Cedar that grows wild. They are an evergreen tree that will grow in the poorest of soils. I've seen some in the Ozarks that grow right out of a rock cliff! When we bought our farm it had been abandoned for 10 years and the property was overgrown with Hedge and Red Cedar. Every spring we did up some of the cedars and transplant them along the road frontage in staggered rows. They grow really quickly and we will soon have that privacy we are looking for.

If you go to your state conservation site they will have specific information for landowners and the trees recommended for your area. Most states break it down by regions. Missouri has a tree seedling program that runs from November to April. We can order bundles of 25 seedlings for $7-$10...these are twigs..and we've not been very successful at keeping them alive. So now we just buy the "closeouts" at the local stores...usually in late June or July. Just remember to plant hardwood trees so they will survive the wind. "Soft" wood trees grow faster but have a tendancy to break easily.

Good Luck :)

4. akmyilee

akmyilee Well-Known Member

I'll send you some Kudzu.......hahaha :haha:

no really, I have no idea I just hear fast growing and vine in the same sentance and Ithink Kudzu....The state athorities would propley put you in jail for taking the stuff to TX though. It doesn't just grow it takes over everything!

5. pamintexas

pamintexas Well-Known Member

I love cottonwoods and they are fast growing - if you can find some seedlings. I don't know of a source offhand. Live Oaks are wonderful shade trees and in our area (southeast of San Antonio) they stay green year-round. As for vines, have you considered grape vines? Good for jelly or wine. Or if you want an evergreen vine, Carolina Jasmine is pretty hardy and they have nice yellow flowers. I love honeysuckle vine but my husband doesn't because it's so prolific!