planting sunflowers near new orchard

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Deb&Al, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

hi all

we have planted about 20 trees, apples and peaches and pears, and just bought 10 blueberry bushes. the field that we are using backs up to a neighbor's pole barn, and i was thinking of having my DH till up a swath with the tractor, about 15 by 100, and planting sunflowers seeds.

i have dozens of sunflower heads from a neighbor that i hung in the barn and i was thinking of just hand scattering them and using a big rake to just get them covered with dirt.

can anyone tell me what you think of this, in terms of being within 300 feet of our fruit trees and berry bushes that we are trying to get going?

also, if it worked, i would gather flower heads in the fall, to save the seeds for next near. what kind of a bird problem am i looking at?

i know that different sized sunflowers are not going to cover a pole barn from sight of us at the house. the house is about 600 feet from the pole barn in question. the tallest flowers were the ten-12 footers. the smalleest were about 2-3 feet.

i just think it would be nice to look out the windows and see them growing.

debbie

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I don't know about bird problems, but I can see ant problems. Every time I plant them, I get lots of ants, so I don't put them near anything that they will take over and start to harvest aphids or leaf hoppers.

3. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

birdypoo,
    i didn't know this. what are the aphids doing on the sunflowers? i know they are partial to roses, as i have someof them, but how the sunflowers?

debbie

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I don't get aphids on them, just the ants, however, the ants will spread to other plants, trees, etc, and that is where they harvest the aphids & leaf hoppers...it was just a warning that if you don't want ants around the fruit trees, I wouldn't plant the sunflowers near them.

I have no idea what it is about the sunflowers, but I always have mine teeming with the darn things!!