Planting strawberrys

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by FarmboyBill, Apr 3, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

I was told by the lady who sold me the plants that the lady who grew them said to cut off 2in off the roots. What does this do. I cut off all but 2 stims on tomato plants to cause the growth to go back into the roots, but I cant see this happeneing in reverse as if the plants are short it seems they would be less able to grow the tops. Whatcha all think??

2. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I grow strawberries but have not for long. I would think the more roots, the more nutrients the plants get. I don't cut mine and they seem to do fine. Maybe try a dozen or so.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Right or wrong, we never cut the roots off. They will grow like gangbusters if they get enough water and fertility.

4. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I heard that to but mine do fine with the full compliment of roots as well.

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Some seed companies or nurseries will tell you to trim the ends of the roots, assuming that they were damaged or dried out in the digging/packaging/shipping process. We have never done that, unless there was something obviously in need of trimming. So, unless they are broken, split, or otherwise damaged, leave them be. If you aren't sure, don't cut them.