Planting seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Oregonsparkie, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

Well I'm going to try to put in a smal 20 x 10 garden in my backyard. I bought seed from walmart yesterday and have been thinking of the best way to get them started. The cheapest way I can think of was to buy a bunch of those white styrofoam coffee cup and plant a seed in each. If I leave the plant in the styrofoam cup when it is time to transplant them will the cup deteriate and allow the plant's roots to grow?

Does anyone have a better solution??

2. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

I would get Jiffy peat pellets. Just soak them and plant.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Refer to my post "Easy DIY free Seed Pots" down the list. No, I do not think styrofoam will break down.

4. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

styrofoam takes quite a while to break down, but you could use paper cups.

Make some like southerngurl posted or make some from newspaper.

5. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

K... First off... Styrofoam will not break down in the soil - or pretty much anywhere else. Better off with Dixie cups in that case.

Do you have any cans from say dog food??? Newspapers? Plastic jugs?
    Any of those would be a better alternative.

Worst case scenario - old shirt boxes lined with saran or some such... But you will still need to transplant into larger containers before hardening off and then planting in the garden.

DON'T USE THE FOAM!!!! It will be nothing but a big mess in the fall, and your plants probably would not survive it anyway - they'd be trapped in there.

Sue

6. gefozarks

gefozarks Well-Known Member

To make a pot from newspaper just get a glass jar the size you want the pot to be and then cut strips of newspaper long enough to wrap around the jar a few times and fold the paper to cover the bottom. I have found that jars work best as being glass the paper comes off the jar real easy.

7. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I use styrofoam cups all the time to transpant my seedlings...get them free at work where everyone runs accross the street for those big gulps...32 oz. holds a big tomato plant. I just pop them off to plant, wash out and reuse. You need to throw them all in a black plastic bag or cardboard box as they will deterioate and crack,not rot. Figure recycling them is better than the landfill. Paperpots are ok for short term but they tend to fall apart eventually and you have to have some kind of tray to put them in anyhow. DH built me 20 cedar flats long ago and they are still going strong. You can get regular flats and inserts for the best prices at Mellingers; we bought a case 5 years ago. Wash them good at the end of the season and reuse. Watch peoples roadside trash...we got 20 of the huge tree size black plastic pots where a new house was going in...great for container gardening. DEE

8. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Have you considered...........

Making some 'row covers' of PVC (or cattle panel or fence wire) and plastic sheeting? Just tall enough to cover the plants (or entire garden) til warm weather??????

THEN when you plant the seeds (IN place in the garden so never have to transplant) you can put each seed in with vermeculite.... this holds water like crazy and nearly a guaranteed sprout every time. (Mel Bartholomew.. Sq. Ft. Gardening idea) No thinning later.

Just another idea. Good luck

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Egg shells works well for this purpose, as does egg cartons also.