planting raspeberries...HELP!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, May 16, 2005.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Ok. The instructions on several sites say to plant the roots no deeper than 2 inches. Then they say to plant the cane 1-2 inches above where it was planted at the nursery (supposedly using the soil line as a guide...but they are gone)

SO....how can I not have more than 2 inches of dirt over the roots, but plant them 2 inches above the soil line???? AHHHHH I killed the last two batches I got. This time I invested in 3 year old canes. I don't want to screw this up!

2. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

Relax, it's hard to screw up planting a raspberry. The are very aggressive little critters and can take a lot of abuse. I'm not sure where you're from, but given halfway decent soil, and even indecent soil, they can take off pretty quickly and take over an area.

Anyway, just make sure the roots are underground--if you're unsure, err on the side of putting a little more underground. If it gets water, you'll have green shoots and/or leaves off your cane in a couple of days. If it already has shoots at the base--that tells you how deep to plant it--just so that the base shoot is sticking out of the soil.

I always plant mine a little deep, and then when I water them in, the soil sinks down to the right level and causes a little depression to catch the rain water (or my hose water).

Through drought, flood, a little too high, a little too low, I've never lost a raspberry. Next Spring, you'll have so many canes you'll be giving them away to the neighbors, or enough to at least tripple your bushes. :)

3. suelandress

Sigh. Well Nax, I've managed to kill them so far :bash: This time I thought I'd read up on it first (yeah, I know, day late....)
    Well, they're in. Keep your fingers crossed!

4. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed! Sending positive vibes to get those roots and canes to be happy. Let's see some baby brown and red leaves by this weekend!

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

raspberries will sometimes go dormant if transplanted incorrectly, but generally the following year they will grow, i dotn know ibe tried to kill them wihtout much sucess, and transplanting , i usually lay the whole stalk against the ground, including the root, and cover the root ocmpletely with soil ,and the stalk lightly, much like tomatos they will send out roots along the stem too...

6. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

raspberries like loose soil, do not like their feet wet. I you don't see much life by fall. email me and i'll find you some reds that are very hardy.

randy

7. suelandress

OK. They are still brown sticks. But it's only been four days. I put all the good vibes in a cup and fed it to them :D

8. suelandress

Ok it's been 2 weeks. I still have brown sticks :waa:

9. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

Sue - Remember that they can go dormant. Take a sharp knife and take a noch out of one of your brown sticks, see if it has any green. If it's green, your good!

I rescued a couple of reaz bushes out of the neighbors yard when they started an addition and were "getting rid" of their garden. They are planted between a shed and my house, barely a couple feet apart and one is going great guns with the leaves, and the other one has no sign of life other than som leaf shoots - but still no leaves. Ex DH wants to pull that one out - but I keep telling him to wait a year - we actualy have wagered $10 on if it will leaf out next year or not.

When I transplanted these bushes I beleive it was the end of April, and I didnt see a leaf till last week. It will be OK. And remember not to overwater these babies, they really dont like wet roots.

10. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

Just wondering, what part of the country do you live in and what type of soil do you have?

I'm shocked, shocked, that so many people have trouble with their raspberries. I must be in a raspberry soil paradise. I literally rip out the canes from between the semblances of rows that I have, put them into another semblence of a row, and water them like nuts for a few weeks (I do have extremely good drainage), and that's that. In fact, I'm considering going solely into raspberries for my summer cash crop. (Right now it's basically beans--maybe I'll keep both and get rich :haha: )

I'm sorry if I gave bad advice on watering--I was just speaking from experience.

Now, if only I could get my blueberries to behave like my raspberries--I'm still working on that one though.

11. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

I should be the expert on raspberries, but i'm not. It might be that you planted them too late in the spring and it just was already too hot. i transplanted a row the beginning may, and they are doing fine. the next row i transplanted a week later and it turned hot. Even with watering every day or every other day, they did not make it. it just got too hot. I used to try to trade them up to the middle of may, but learned that may 1st is the dead line.

randy

12. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

See, my drainage is lousy. I get tons of rain here in westen WA. My soil is really acidic (which berries like). Honestly, I don't think I could get rid of my raspberries if I tried. I have to mow them down between the official rows. I loose the occasional vine to canker, but there's plenty more growing up to replace it.

So maybe you need to try to kill the raspberry vines to get them to take off? I sure don't do anything special to mine. In fact, I don't do anything other than cover them with bird netting.

13. suelandress

We've had a really cool, wet spring here in CT. However, the drainage is amazing, so their "feet" aren't wet. I took a notch as suggested....it does look kind of green. If they are dormant, how long does it take to break dormancy?

14. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

Folks, I've had raspberries for 3 seasons now. They were transplants from an established garden. For those of you just starting with these plants be sure to place them as far away as possible from your other gardens. Remember these puppies are BRAMBLES and they will get into other beds. I have a small city garden and I had to dig them up and put them in whiskey barrels to prevent the suckers from growing in my tomatoes, zuchinni, beets and other beds. Granted I would like to have more berries but I don't want to shade the other plants.

I do have to agree with everyone else, these plants are truely hardy and for them to die you must be trying awfully hard.

15. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

i'm with you sue, thought i had planted my berries correctly. had to heel them in cause the ground was still frozen...planted as soon as i could dig a hole. That was like the first part of may and still not a thing looking like it is growing here. course our willow trees are just beginning to leaf...but i think my berries are dead. gonna go notch them this morning per this thead!

16. suelandress

:haha: :haha: :haha: really....i'm not!!! :D

17. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

Been reading some posts I missed. I had to laugh on this one since I bought 5 plants 3 years ago and planted them next to our fence, well soon they were taking over the fence to the neighbors yard. He is a good neighbor but he mentioned that they were in his rosebush he planted out there so I took the hint and removed the canes in his yard and transplanted them along with the original ones into 3-20 foot rows. I now have 3 rows plus all the middles filled in and that was just this early spring. I can't get them to STOP of course I have been getting raspberries for 3 weeks now and am in heaven being they are my favorites and just too darn expensive at the store plus I don't like to buy the ones from Chile as you don't know what fretilzer they use. I couldn't kill them if I tried. ;)