Planting pumpkin seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mommalee, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

I have some heirloom seeds for "winter luxury pie pumpkin" and I need to know when, how and where to plant. :shrug:

I've never grown anything in my life. I need some very basic instructions. :nerd:

What are some good beginner websites or can anyone give me an idea of when I should be starting this project? Thanks :)

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Whats your 20? I mean what is your location?

3. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

It is probably too late to be planting pumpkins to harvest unless you dont have freezing temps during the winter(pumpkins will need at least 12 weeks before frost.) I would wait until spring. However, you could prepare a few hills now and start adding some compost. They will need a nice sunny location.

4. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Unless you're Down Under, I agree with Valent: Wait until next year, but start this year by making some lovely manure mounds to grow the pumpkins come Spring. :)

I just went out back (in the drippy, drippy world) and looked at my Connecticut Field pumpkins. I thought I only had 3, but since things are starting to die back, I found another one. Yippee!!

Now if it would stop raining, I could get out there and deal with the spent vines and stuff... Impatient Pony!

Pony!