Planting Horseradish

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mike in Ohio, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

My 5 roots arrived today. Anyone have any tips or tricks? I was going to plant it in one of my raised beds but it sounds like horseradish can be pretty aggressive.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Find a permanent home for the horseradish. Avoid mixing soil from the horseradish area with other garden spots since even micro-roots will sprout wherever you mix soil. Its not terrible though, you just have to be persistent. I grow it in one corner of one box. I find it coming up around this box and just keep digging it up. Otherwise it would take over.

3. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

A piece of root about 20cm long, and the downward end cut on a slant, can be pushed into the ground on a slight angle, so that the top of the cutting will be 5cm below the soil. Soil should be worked down at least 60cm. Prefers full sun and deep, moist, rich, well-drained soil pH 6.8, but will grow almost anywhere.

And yes, it can quickly take over. I had mine in a pot, and ended up with new plants coming out of the drainage holes, and taking hold in the tiny cracks between concrete pavers on which the pot stood. Prior to that I had it in the garden, and I had no end of problems getting rid of it! I'd suggest a very large, very deep pot for it, or else you're asking for trouble!

4. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

Yes make a permanent place for it after a great deal of thought because once you plant it there is nothing more persistent than Horseradish. In my garden the previous gardener had had a large patch of Horseradish they wanted to get rid of apparently. So they tried to dig it out. So when I moved here I had a 4 foot by 8 foot by 18 inch deep pit with Horseradish growing on the bottom and sides rampantly. I tried reburying it and now I have a LEVEL area of Horseradish appoximately 6 by 11 feet! But the fill dirt I used was nice and sandy so at least I get nice clean roots on the few occasions a year when I need a piece of horseradish :) . I've decided to completely ignore it in the hopes that it won't expand any further.

5. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

Yuo sound like me... I have 5 roots coming in next week and found out that for our family (6) we only really need 1 root to supply our needs. So I'll have to find homes for the other 4.

6. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

If you haven't found homes for them yet, I'm interested. I love horseradish. I even eat it on scrambled eggs with cayenne pepper for breakfast. :worship: I pm'd you.

7. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

What a coincidence this topic came up, I just about killed myself on the stuff yesterday. I was home from college and we were having ham for dinner. I spread a load of my father’s homemade stuff on my ham not thinking that this stuff, akin to nuclear fuel, was not what we get at the college. I put the first bight into my mouth and keep carrying on my conversation. I get about five chews into it when it HIT me. It was either I spit it out or pass out. So I spit out the chewed up ham/radish on my plate followed by an awful cough. Yeah…I just gave my father conversation material for the next month.

“Har har har…I was wondering what the hell you were doing!!!” :haha:

8. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

I got your pm and replied. :)

Just FYI for all others: my 4 extra roots have been spoken for :)

9. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Ours is planted in a concrete box set in the ground. In addition, every year we dig up all of the roots, use them, or give them away, and replant the tops (with a little root attached). They just keep coming back. The foliage is impressive, so I really don't mind it as a backdrop in the garden. We are ruthless to it, and it just keeps coming back for more!

10. Fla Gal

Melissa,

It makes me want to get ruthless and 'rude' with the little bit of horseradish I have. I planted them last spring and will start harvesting them this year. Oh... yummy... Grated horseradish, with the young tender horseradish greens on almost every food imaginable, even yellow squash and zucchini. I believe I'll pass on adding it to sweet potatoes though :D

LWMSAVON,

Thanks for the pm and with Melissa's post it sounds like I might not need any additional roots. :cool:

11. gobug

FlaGal, You eat horseradish greens???
    Please elaborate.

12. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

Sure... onion greens, poke salad, radish greens, turnip greens, beet greens, etc., why not horseradish greens. Pick then when the greens are about ½-grown and they'll keep growing back and back and back. You can blanch and freeze them just like spinich, kale and the others, aforementioned.

13. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Can horseradish grow in poor soil and does it need full sun. I received my 5 roots and I'm sure glad I read this thread. Now I want to put it away from the garden! What about putting it out along the edge of the goat field?

14. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

You didn't say where you are, so here is something, at least. Plenty of moisture, any good ground and preferably full sun.

These ought to get you going. And the goats will probably eat it if you put it there. They'll eat anything you don't want them before they'll eat weeds, etc.

. ;)

15. Fla Gal

I can stand in my garden and make a full meal out of what I see, horseradish greens included. They aren't as hot as the root but do add a bite to salads. I use the young tender leaves for salads or, standing in the garden eating my salad 'really' fresh. Just pick a bunch of green stuff and wrap it in a swiss chard, mustard or young collard leaf. :D I use the older greens by chopping and steaming or stir frying them for that bit of hot taste.

They add a mildly hot... to me.. ( remember, I like horseradish and cayenne pepper on my eggs for breakfast) taste to any dish. Horseradish is a member of the mustard family and as far as I'm concerned the greens are fair game. Yummy! :D I haven't tried them boiled to take the hot taste away but understand you have to boil the leaves three times and dump the water for them to be tasty to those that don't like the hot spicy taste.

This site doesn't tell you about the greens, just about the roots. There just isn't much out there on the greens
    http://www.horseradish.org/facts.html

You could try a small nip of a green and determine how you would want to use them in your cooking, if you would want to cook them at all. ;)

16. gobug

Thank you very much.

I'll just have to try it. They're poking up out of the ground now, and so are bunches of greens. It'll be a few days, or maybe a week, but you got me interested.

17. Fla Gal

gobug,

You're welcome and please let us know what you think of the greens and how many ways you plan on using them. :p

Mike,

I hope you don't mind your thread being somewhat hijacked but all this should be good information for you too. Good luck with your horseradish and bon appetite. ;)

18. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Thanks WV rebel!
    I'm zone 5 on a hillside which gives me a 5 and a half sometimes???
    I put the horseradish out this afternoon between the asparagus bed and the goat fence. DH doesn't have room to mow there and if it spreads over into the goat field I suppose they'll love it. I just hope it doesn't get out of control. I did plant the cuttings at a slant with the "bigger" end up, but it was kinda' hard to tell which that was.

19. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Mamagoose,

If those are dairy goats you might get some interestingly flavored milk.

Fla Gal, I'm enjoying the thread. I'm still trying to figure out where I want to plant the horseradish.

Mike

20. gobug

FlaGal,
    I put some in my salad last night and they were good. Not to spicy at all, at least for my taste buds. Thanks for the tip.