Planting garlic

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by PromisedLand, Jan 3, 2007.

1. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Well-Known Member

I have some wonderful organic garlic I bought a couple months ago and it's starting to sprout like crazy now. I wonder if I can plant it. Now, I don't know the first thing about gardening or planting, so I wonder if I should attempt it. If so, how would I do it? What do I need to know? How do I keep it alive? Can I continue to keep it in my kitchen window (I am in Oregon). Thank you!

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

You need to know how to use the Search feature in this forum and look for "garlic". After reading all that there is about growing garlic, you'll figure that it's too much effort and just eat the stuff. So, don't do that!

Yes, you can plant it. Garlic does not like to be transplanted so head for the garden. Pick an area that's well-drained and loose soil. Break the bulbs down to individual cloves. Plant the cloves so that there is one inch of soil ABOVE the original tip of the clove. Space at 8" in all directions.

Martin

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Martin, you forgot to add, "STAND BACK!"

My garlic is growing like gangbusters. But.... It's JANUARY!!!

Oh, this is just weird. Trees are budding, the garlic's going nuts...

I don't know if I should be planning for an early Spring, or concerned about finding a way to convince my cherry tree it's still Winter...

Pony!

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Just looked at mine in the past hour and some beds really do look like the garlic is growing. And not just the garlic but shallots and onions as well. My only concern now is if we have a lot of freeze-thaw-freeze cycles in the spring. I mulch heavy with shredded leaves which normally remain intact all winter and then decompose in the spring. Nightcrawlers have been chewing on them for 2 months and there's not much left. At this rate, the ground will be bare when spring arrives.

Martin

5. Pony

I just came in from the garden, and the garlic really really is growing. It's coming up over the leaves I put in the beds, and I'm going out there later to cover up some more. Hope it helps... Also saw a couple of onions (stragglers from last year, I reckon).

I still have about 10 or 15 bags of leaves left for mulch, but I doubt it will last for long if I have to keep putting them down on the beds.

On a lark, I just spread some grass seed on bare spots and covered them with straw. It feels like late Fall or early Spring anyway.

Now my fingers are really red from the cold, just like the Fall and Spring. But it feels good to have gotten dirty. I may not like the way the temps are right now, but I figured I may as well take advantage of it. :shrug:

Pony!

6. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I have wild garlic about 6" tall, and my daffodils are up about an inch! The garlic I planted in the garden last Oct. isn't doing a thing.

7. catmar

catmar Well-Known Member

My hardnecks are coming up, but then again they were coming up 2 weeks after being planted. My softnecks aren't doing anything.
    My onions are still going strong, the frost didn't kill them, so I've been using them as I need them. Tasty.
    It was in the 50s again today, I think I'm going to plant some spinach & lettuce tomorrow & see what happens. :shrug:

8. Pony

Yeah, when I saw the turnips coming through the mulch, I thought I may as well toss some seeds out there. The spinach in the window isn't doing all that well, but it may in the beds. Sheesh!

Of course, if we plant seeds out there, it may be just the thing to "bring on" Winter. Murphy's Law and all that. ;)

I'm wondering what to do with the cherry tree. Should I wrap it in burlap or something? I'm really concerned about damage... The garlic will be okay one way or the other, but I've been nursing this little tree along since last year. I'd really like it to make it.

Pony!