Planting Fall Potatos

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rickstir, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Rickstir

Rickstir Well-Known Member

Missouri (Hard by the Elk Fork of the Salt River)
    I would like to plant some potatos for a fall harvest. We are in North East Missouri, Zone 5.

What are some good varieties and where can you purchase them this time of the year?

Thanks.

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Ronnegiers still sells now I think?

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Ooh! I was just thinking about this!

I have to get some garlic ordered soon, too. May as well see about ordering them both...

Pony!

4. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I ordered my garlic from a huge private garlic farm online it was lots cheaper than SSE I got about 8 varieties for $20 I think. You could google garlic for sale and find it probably. DW says they are all growing great lucky the deer dont like them. I have about 12 kinds of potatoes this is the 2nd year growing them DW says they are fine guess the growth is poisoness to deer and I got those from Seed saver exchange in the future (next year) I plan on making a very large order from the place I posted (probably misspelled it)

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

6. Pony

7. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Your welcome (insert blushing emoticon)

8. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Too late for potatoes, I reckon. Should have done it in March or April.

9. Pony

Did you phone Ronniger's?

I was going to give them a call, to see if any of the early spuds would work. You're in 5b, right? So you have a good 60 days left...

I'm going to ring them up now.

Pony!

10. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

It's not too late for potatoes for a fall crop. I think fall potatoes are the best anyway, and you have fresher potatoes to store for the winter.
    We planted about 200 yesterday.
    If know ahead of time that you want to plant a fall crop, just buy enough seed potatoes in the spring when you can get them really cheap from the farmers co-op or some place like that. Take them out of the bag (sprouts grow through the burlap and get broken off when you take them out) and put them in a box. Keep them in the house where it's cool till you want to plant.
    Ronnigers does still sell potatoes now, I ordered some from them last year about this time - selection may be limited though.

11. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

We use mid-July as a cut-off for planting fall potatoes around here. That gives just about the right amount of growing time for early varieties. That's also about when early varieties are done so the fall planting can be right back in the same patch.

Ronnigers would appear to still have 9 early varieties left according to their site, www.ronnigers.com

Martin

12. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Go to a farmers market and buy some locally grown stuff...it will be better adapted to your locale, plus a lot less expensive than the above mentioned places. Or if there is a garlic festival near you, try there. I bought some really beautiful stuff for $4.00 a pound for German White at a small festival in the closest city to me. Admission was only $1, and I bought 10 pounds, so it was a good deal. It was certainly appropriate for "seed garlic." Other vendors had more exotic stuff at higher prices so it depends on what you want.

13. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

I save my biggest garlic bulb and plant those in the fall. After you do that for a couple of years you get a much better garlic yield as the garlic adapts to your region.