Planting clover ... cross-posted

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Cat, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I've posted this in the sheep & horse forum, but am wanting input from people who may not venture into those forums.

Are there certain varieties of clover that are better forages than others? Are there any that shouldn't be fed to livestock? We have 1 pasture with a very old (20 years, at the very least) stand of brome grass, and I'm going to reseed that with a mixture of grasses, however I also want to include clover. Our area is prone to drought or dryness, little humidity, can have 105* days during the summer and winters in the single digits with wind chills in the negative teens/twenties at times. I've found a few online that say they're good for food plots for deer & turkey, which makes me assume that they'd be suitable for sheep & goats but I want something that is suitable for all manner of livestock, cattle & horses included.

2. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

I planted med red clover.

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

The following would be good to include for your area, where heat and drought tolerance are issues: Korean Lespedeza, Alfalfa(deep roots) and white clover. You would do well to consult feed mill or seed company in your area to ask which specific varieties of white clover do best.

4. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Okay, I think I've decided to check into both alfalfa and white clover. I'll read some info from the KSU extension and see if they've done any tests (the experiment station is about 15 miles from my home so what tests well there should grow well here.) Thanks for the information!

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

My personal choice would be to go where farmers and cattlemen gather for coffee- local livestock auction, feed mill, or cafe. The opening statement "You look like a man of knowledge....." said with a smile or laugh will usually garner more information than many years of university research. The older and more weathered the source, the richer the knowledge, LOL.