Planting by the signs?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tessynae, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Tessynae

Tessynae Well-Known Member

I've been reading the first of "The Fox Fire" series and it talks about planting/weeding/butchering/everything else by the signs. If you plant corn in the right sign then it will give you a better yield. If you kill and butcher a hog in the wrong sign you will have puffy meat.

Do anyone of you know anything about this and do any of you do it?

I can understand why it might work due to the moon's gravitational pull on the earth. I just don't really understand when all the different sings occur. Or if it really does work.

Thanks

2. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I've read quite a bit about it, but I don't do it. I do plant by the moon though. I'm not sure if it really works, but I figure it can't hurt! The problem with having a bunch of rules for when to plant is that they don't always coincide with the weather or work schedule. There is a great book called Country Ways and Wisdom that has an good section on it if you want to read more.

3. Tessynae

Thanks I'll check it out.

4. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

I remember as a child my grandfather and all other older family members planted by the signs or the moon. They all swore by it. I dont know if it works or not. My mother bought an Almanac this year and called me reading me the times to plant for our area. It listed times to plant and listed the best times according to the moon. I wrote them all down and if weather permitting I will try it this year just to see if I notice a difference. I have noticed that some of the dates fall when we usually get a lot of rain so I dont know if I will be able to do it or not. We'll see.
    Susie

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The planting charts are available in the links library near the bottom of the list.

6. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I was raised up using Moon Signs. Thought I knew better and quit using them. Started using them again in the mid 80's and ever since. Am I convinced they work - not 100 percent! Am I convinced they are myths? No way! Anything that has been around for 100's or even 1000's of years must have some reason to be so.

This includes pruning by the right sign to retard growth or to incourage growth (including your own hair), castrating animals (don't use the signs for breeding nor setting eggs as the animals do it themselves and when they do may or may not agree with the signs and really we don't have any control of it). When to dig the garden to discourage weeds etc.

Will I continue to use them Definate YES!

Old Farmer Almanac http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/index.php has a link to what signs are best for this month (and next I think).

Pat

7. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Both of my grandfathers were believers in the signs, but my dad wasn't. I've checked many times and I can't tell any difference, but you'll find plenty of people who will tell you that they've checked and seen a big difference.

Just as an example, I castrated a couple of bull calves and paid particular attention to whether they bled badly or not. They did not. Just a few drops each. I then went and checked the signs after I had castrated them, and the signs were in the head, which is supposed to be the worst sign for castration.

8. Tessynae

I would be willing to bet that the bulls think any sign is a bad sign to be castrated! :p

9. Tessynae

Where can I find the links library?

10. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I bet you're right. :p

11. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

my grand parents wouldnt plant anything unless the signs & the moons was in the right stage so as i was growing my mom wouldnt plant nothing unless they was right. but now i never pay any attention to them its just a myth i plant every thing when the weather permits. i dont think the big farmers wait to plant their crops when the signs are right, if they did i dont think much stuff would get planted in time for a good harvest. and i never heard of a grain or food shortage cause the farmers didnt plant when the signs was right. so im saying this myth is BUSTED......

12. Aunt Elner

Aunt Elner Well-Known Member

Llewellyn's Moon Sign book is a better guide to using the signs than an almanac; this years edition has a very nice gardening/planting by the signs section in it.

Actually, the head is not the worst sign for castration; Scorpio, or the loins, is the worst sign for castration. Knees, calves and feet are best (Saggitarius, Capricorn, Pisces); head (Aries) isn't a bad sign. Should avoid the week before and after the full moon.

I've had 4 surgeries, 3 with the signs and 1 against. I had a speedy recovery and no problems with the 3 with the signs; multiple problems and slow recovery against the signs. I've also used the signs to wean and potty train children, house break animals, incubate eggs, graft/take cuttings, set fence posts, and, of course, garden; with good results.

13. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

The government and the banks cover them, so they dont care. They just got to show theyre trying. If you dont believe in the signs, get u a book called Llewlyns Moon Sign Book at any book store. Plant, say, potatos in the sign of aries, in the new moon. just one row. Then beside it, plant a row in the old moon in the sign of Cancer, Scorpio or picies or Libra, and have the guts to post what you find. Same with tomatos. Or most any other vegetable. Dad cut pigs once when the sign changed. I was there as a little kid, watching, Dad, grandpa, and uncle Milt was there. around 9 or so, one bled bad and he handed it out to us to watch. They then cut another and it bled bad. By that time Grandpa asked if dad had checked the almanic, and he said the he ll with the almanic, He had Sat off and thats when he had to get them cut. Grandpa said he neded a cup of coffee, and dad was whizzed, but they all went to the house. Grandpa asked mom if she had an almanic. Mom FOUND one, and grandpa checked. The sign had changed at that time. He wouldnt help dad cut any more, and dad WAS pizzed but he kept most of it to himself. The first pig died, the second remained a runt. I dont remember when they came back and did it, and was to little to mark the sign. But I do know there wasnt any trouble about it, or I would have remembered it like I remembered the first trouble, and that was around 53 yrs ago. There are people who say the hell with the almanic cause they dont believe and wont check it to be sure. There are people who say that cause they dont want to be tied down with Gods timestable. I have found it takes a mature person to realize finally, that God DOES have a timetable for everything under the sign, and it says so in the Bible. I guess maturity in this is why most old people believe in the signs, I had read where a guy believed in planting corn in the old of the moon cause he thought it grew a joint shorter stalk and put that growth in the ear. I tried it last year. We had a bad drouth, so I cant say for sure what happened. Ill try it again for another year or two. I will say that I had the best corn crop ive ever had last year, but then I soaked the seed for a week, so who knows.

14. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

There are a few around here who plant by the moon etc. They don't have any better crops than anybody else, just more excuses about why it didn't work.