planting a welcome home garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by grandma*angel, Apr 4, 2005.

1. grandma*angel

grandma*angel Member

Hi every one
    I have a son and a daughter that have both served in Iraq and will be coming home hopefully in may. My daughter has been in there since the begining of the war and my son since last year, they have both lost friend and my daughter left when her baby was only 3 months old. so I would like to plant a garden with flowers that blooms in red white and blue can anyone give me any ideas. i don't have a lot of money and i would like them to be long lasting. we are located in east tn growing area. thanks for any advise.
    angel

2. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Good morning,
    I am happy for you that your children will be returning home soon. Give them hugs from me as well for the job that they do.
    I don't know if you want them to be annuals or perinneals beds, but petunias would bloom all summer until the first frost and you can find them in brillant red, white and blue colors. They are not very expensive as well. Please post a photo of the flower bed when you get finished and it is in bloom.
    Have a great day.
    mamabear

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I'm glad that your loved ones will be home safely, soon.

I agree with the petunias, they have big show stopping blosssoms, too. If you deadhead them regularly they will bloom for months and months.

hollym

4. grandma*angel

grandma*angel Member

Thank you for your kind words. I would like for some thing that would come back every year. I will get some of those. What about prim roses?

5. mamabear

Primroses might work depending on your climate. If I planted primroses, they might make it a couple of hours due to the heat.
    I love just going to the gardening section of a store that has a good selection. You can pick out ones that are blooming and place side by side to see if the colors look right together, are they bright enough, does the foliage compliment each other, etc. Kinda like an artist might do with paint. Then you can decide what you like and go from there. Even if you decide to start from seeds, you have an idea of what the plant looks like.
    I've gotten most of my perennials in the throw-out piles when the store thought they were dead. Just takes a little love'n to get them back on their "feet".
    mamabear

6. grandma*angel

grandma*angel Member

thanks for the advise I went to the nursery today and the last frost for this area is about the 15 of april I looked at the flowers that where suguested and also I dicided to plant three bushes of ( i can't spell them ) but they bloom in red white and blue so even after I am gone ( I have a brain tumor) the kids will still have a garden. I think they are hydendrias and rodendrias. gezz something like that lol . i am going to put a bird bath a small cement bench and a solar torch ( light) to iluminate an american flag . also I had someone carve the words " freedom is worth fighting for and some gave all " this will have the names of their best friends who died in combat along with the words "along with the brave women and men who serve in the afagann and iraq war. this stone i want to be sorounded with flowers that come back ever year as a rebirth. in red, white and blue. it is a simple garden but it is full of meaning.

7. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

It sounds beautiful! I'm sure they will enjoy sitting in it watching bees buzz the flowering bushes.

hollym

8. mamabear

grandma*angel,
    That sounds just wonderful! I know it will look wonderful and will be an inspiration to all who see it. Hydrangeas and rhododendrens are beautiful choices and should do well in your area.
    If you have the capability to post a photo, I would love to see a photo on here when you get it finished.
    mamabear