Planting a berry patch

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Zack, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Zack

Zack Well-Known Member

I would like to start growing raspberrys,blueberrys and blackberrys in one area. Any basic tips on starting a new patch?

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

First thing would be find out what your soil PH is.

3. Irene texas

Irene texas Well-Known Member

I live in south east texas, we grow blueberries very well, your soil has to be on acid side. And I fertilize with a acid fertilizer every fall and spring. Blackberries do good here also, I grow brazo's, The thornless one's did not grow well and finially died. Raspberries is a lost cause unless you live in pan handle. Amarillo area. Blackberries are heavy feeders, after bearing you have to prune back to 6 inches to ground. I use lots of mulch and manure. Good luck

4. Zack

Zack Well-Known Member

This would be in Mississippi, conditions similar to texas.

Acid soil is the norm from all the pine straw on the ground. I have huckleberrys there now that supposedly started out as blueberrys I am told .
    Also have wild raspberrys everywhere.

Raspberrys seem to always came up in direct sun but summer drought seems to hurt production.

Huckleberrys are in heavy shade conditions and I have been told they prefer shade.
    They seem to grow well but I don’t water them currently so production is limited.

I assume blueberrys do well here; it is a major crop grown in the area.

Also have wild muscadine vines growing on the edge of every tree line.

5. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

HI just planted Blueberrys and Raspberrys last spring and have Blackberrys growing quite well. The only concern i have will all but the Blueberrys would be to have a plan to keep them contained they will all spread Arapaho
    is the Blackberry i like big berrys and vines are loaded, Heritage is the red raspberry and we even got a few this year from them, i can't remember the black raspberry kind would have to look it up.. The only thing i did not like was the black raspberry grew along the ground instead of up so the ran about 6 foot am talking to gurney about them now to see what can be done. I am located in TN by KY lake so should be about same conditions as you i would thing
    Bigdog