Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted my first apple tree by my house, it produced no apples, it was a regular Mac no hybrid or anything. There is another apple tree 1/2 mile down the road which obviously wasn't close enough. So do I need to buy another tree? Does it have to be the same species of apple tree as I currently have? Thanks Chris

·
Premium Member
28,011 Posts
Several reasons for no production, but the biggest one is that the tree was just planted. it takes trees a few years to get their roots established before they will even bloom. Patience, patience.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
If I don't get apples within 5 years of planting, I start to wonder about the t ree, but I don't worry until it has grown at least 10 years. Depends on the variety, the rootstock, where it is planted, the care given, etc. Apples the first year is unusual and often not good for the tree.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi Chris
Did the tag on the tree say it was a self-fertile variety? Classic MacIntosh is not and requires a different apple variety as a pollinator. Here's an apple pollination chart that you might find helpful. Mac is not listed in this chart, but a Mac derived daughter, Liberty is.
http://www.sandybarnursery.com/apple-pollination-page.htm
Danaus is also correct in that the tree is too young. I have some apples that have been in the ground for 3 years now that haven't started fruiting yet. Plant a second tree, and step back and be patient.
Michael

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
You need to make sure your pollinator blooms at the same time.
I had lovely trees about 3 feet tall from Raintree Nursery, with the $20 hole for the $10 tree theory and all the love and amendments GFB lavished on his selffertile soutern 3-variey graft it set a boatload of bloom the first year. GFB almost cried when I showed the growing instructions which said that letting it set fruit the first year would stunt its growth. The second year it was FULL of apples dainty little yellows with red blushes- we decided to pick them the next morning- in the morning they were gone. All but the very top one- about 4 1/2 ft off the ground. And their were **** prints in the sand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts