plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Doc, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

I am having a time with this inflamed left heel/arch. Acc: primary physician I am doing all the right things, but if I overdo it, the pain is amazing. Some days I can barely walk no matter what I do.

I'm sure someone here has suffered through this before. Would like to know what worked for you -- and how does this go on?

2. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Doc

I had physical therapy, and was fitted for orthodics.

The orthodics took a while to adjust to, but I don't have the problem anymore.

Rick

3. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

A trip to a good foot doctor will do wonders. Had HORRIBLE PF a few years ago. After a shot of cortisone, spending a couple of weeks being wrapped, and wearing orthotics, I was cured. His best advice to me: wear New Balance athletic shoes. I wear them about 95% of the time now, and no more problems. And I no longer wear the orthotics (inserts). Good luck.

Oh yea: Try not to go barefoot, and cheap sandals are OUT. My problems first started after spending a week in Jamaica, where I wore nothing but sandals.

4. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I have had PF for 10 years, getting worse every year. It wasn't until recently that I found out my leg pain was PF. My big toe joint started to hurt, I thought I had gout!!! TG I didn't. I got some orthotics, but I hate to wear shoes, and can't in the house, so I got an orthotic that fastens to the foot. Works fine.
    So learn to live with orthotics. Footsmart.com has ok deals on that stuff.
    Mine is the right foot, maybe we should go together and have one good set of feet!!! :buds:

5. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

I've suffered for almost a year now. I got some orthodotics which help. Good support in shoes helps too. I can wear birkenstock sandles fine, but thin soled ones are out. My problem seems to stem from those nasty shin splints I had in high school and they weren't treated or taken seriously by the coaches at that time. Now, my calf muscles are so tight and the shin muscles are so short that I'm haveing to restreatch them to relieve the pressure on the muscles in my feet. So, I'd recommend streatching those leg muscles too. Hams and calves. Makes a uge difference. I even have some braces to sleep in. So nice not to wake up with foot pain.

6. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I could hardly walk at all about 5 years ago because of PF, even after cortisone shots and getting orthotics. Then someone suggested taking vitamin C. I began taking as much as I could take daily, until the diahrea set in, and my feet started feeling better after a few days. Then I began taking other natural anti-inflammatories, like omega 3 oils, stinging nettle, and alpha lipoic acid. I have less trouble with allergies now also. It took a year or more to get almost pain free because I kept forgetting to take the supplements when my feet started doing better, but the pain returning would get me back on them. I also think that wearing New Balance shoes helped. This is what worked for me. I hope you find something that will help you.

I think keeping good arch supports in my shoes was a major help also. I have a couple of pairs of birkenstocks and they seem to make things worse for my feet even long after the break in period that they need. My family doctor recommended them. I think it is because I have such high arches and the birkenstock arch support isn't high enough for my foot. I keep going back to them and hoping I can wear them, because I like them, but my feet always hurt worse after wearing them. You just have to try stuff until you find out what works for you.

7. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

Oy! I keep forgetting about the sandals rule!! I have it bad in both feet and haven't resorted to orthos yet, but I do have an awesome pair of tennis shoes and supports that work wonderfully.... I just forget to put them on in the house (I HATE wearing shoes in the house) and then when I need to run outside for a minute I slip on sandals... (gonna have to throw those away!!) Barefoot is my favorite!! :) But oh the pain!!

I am considering buying those splints to sleep in at night... and am going to try the herbal treatments mentioned!!!

8. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Good arch supports in good shoes. I also found that cowboy boots were more comfortable than ropers. I hate feeling like I drove a 16d nail up my heel.

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

One word: BIRKENSTOCKS!

I had pretty bad PF for quite some time. I did the stretches, exercises, wore good sneakers. Didn't really help. I finally invested in a pair of Birkenstocks, within a few weeks, no more pain. They are the only shoes I wear now. I know a few other people who have had the same results too.

10. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

I know exactly how you feel. I used to work at Kmart - on feet all the time and not careful about my shoes. I had the most horrible shots in my heel - they had to freeze it first with freon for pain - no good. Couldn't stand to put pressure on it at all. What helped me was cutting down on salt, finding a great pair of large tennis shoes and using good quality arch supports. Good Feet could help you (expensive) but I just bought good quality arch supports til I found the right type to suit me. It is horribly painful; I feel for you. I haven't had that problem for years and will do ANYTHING no to.

11. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

I had PF and couldn't touch the ground in the morning with a foot. It was coming and going, mostly coming.

Went to a podiatrist who gave me some arch support inserts. I've always had strong arches but the supports made a world of difference in the irritation that leads to PF.

I only say the podiatrist once. Afterwards I've always added sole cushions in both of my shoes and a separate arch support in my more susceptible foot. I get enought to fit in all my shoes.

I've noticed that if you pay close attention and give quick attention when you get the first signs you can heal up quickly and be normal again.

I RAREly walk barefoot now, especially on slab floors unless they've got padding and carpet.

12. festio

festio Member

Here is what worked for me. I had the PF for months and between that in my left foot and bad knees I was very depressed. I bought heel pad inserts for the shoes I wore the most but what really finally did the trick was massaging that heel every night with a product called SoreNoMore. Even if it doesn't work for that you will LOVE the stuff for aches and pains of all sorts. My husband, my son and grandson have all used it and been amazed. Read the testimonials on their site! Rita in TN

13. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Here's what worked for me:

1) Foam inserts
    2) Regular replacement of running shoes
    3) Don't run on concrete - ever!
    4) Train self to sleep with affected foot flexed. Sounds impossible to do, but it's not!

Haven't had a problem for about a year. :walk:

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for all the good advice, everyone. Some of the suggestions I've already done, for example, the heel cushions and a brace for the arch support. That worked great for awhile, but I'm afraid I re-injured my foot chasing guineas in garden shoes across the pasture (I know! I know!). Like someone said, when it starts to feel better, you forget about the things you need to do to keep it better.

I've been doing the calf stretches and massage, but I'll try anti-inflams and SoreNoMore.

Oh, and the only tennis shoes I wear are New Balance. But I think my problem is from walking too much all day long (I have a farm) in my garden shoes and initially not taking care of it, immediately.

I'm glad to hear for some of you that pf does heal and go away. I hope I can join you, too. I do think a good foot doc is in order. I wasn't sure if pf was treatable on its own or not. At least the foot doc can prescribe orthotics that might work.

15. Colleen in WI

Colleen in WI Well-Known Member

I've done all those things too. I also wear New Balance 600's. Another simple thing to try is to freeze water in a 20 oz. soda bottle and roll in under your foot a few times a day. A tennis ball works to but the ice feels really good. My foot doc. also told me to never get out of bed without gently stretching your foot. He said to catch it on the sheet and pull the toes up to stretch the sole of the foot. It seems to help. :)

16. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

The night splints help, too. Be prepared for slow progress; it takes about a month or so.

I also recommend Z Coil shoes. They are all I wear now.

www.zcoil.com

17. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Wear the new balance shoes as stated twice previously. Dunham is a new balance brand also if you want work shoes. Try www.shoebuy.com

18. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I've had it twice and each time it took a year for it to go away. Good shoes important and the birkenstocks were bad news for me. My slip on shoes to run outside are some good (old) loafers with good support...no cheap sandles. The stretching exercise does help.

19. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Two asprin a day in the morning for 30 days or until the pain stops plus a few days. Real asprin not that tylenol or other fake posion stuff.

mikell

20. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Okay- I had it so bad a few years back - just like the rest of you. I had cheap shoes and let me tell you I paid more for the cure than a good pair. New Balance sneaks and Dansko clogs - I slip the clogs on for everything that is just running out the door and the sneaks for walks.

We just came through a tight money spell and I needed sneaks - I bought a $20.00 pair of Dr. scholls. :shrug: Dumb, dumb dumb, it took 4 days for it to kick up and I am still struggling a month later - need to get another pair of NB sneaks for the walks.

I tried the stretching, aspirin, massage and the easiest fix was the shoes. Dr. said he only wears dansko for just that reason. Good luck.