Plantar Fasciitis

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ninn, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Anyone here ever have surgery for this? What should I REALLY expect? Doctors always minimize everything, and mine is no different. I have to try orthotics for 6 months, but he doesnt think they will help much. It is so bad that I cannot put my feet on the floor in the mornings. One is sore from the PF, the other from holding all my weight all the time. It's beginning to cause pain in the top of my PF foot, too. I have lots of time to worry about this. Someone please tell me how it was for them and what to plan for, etc.

2. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I had this last spring, but took care of it with first, heel cups, then bought some New Balance shoes. It took several months for it to get better (it's at about 98 percent better now), but it is better than surgery.
    Ann

3. kevyb

kevyb Well-Known Member

did your doctor show you how to stretch out the fascia (SP?) my sister-in-law (physical therapist) showed me how to stretch it and it seems to help.
    i didn't know they did surgery for PF.
    christine

4. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Mine was so bad a year a go that I was in a cast nearly all summer. Yep, a cast! (Keep in mind I have about 15 old fractures in my feet, 8 in one foot and seven in the other so this did not help) I also received some cortisone shots to the heel and side of my foot. I learned the hard way I guess. I could literally not walk at all because of the pain.

I was told to never ever go barefoot except in bed and the tub/shower and to always wear shoes that had a heel and good heel/arch support. Did not listen and spent a lot of money fixing the problem, plus nearly a whole summer with no riding and having a really hard time doing chores. I found that Dr Scholl's shoes with the air gel heel help me a lot. I wore orthotics for about a year and found that the Dr Scholl's were not only less expensive but really work. I do not have pain now unless I go back to my old ways. One hour walking around barefoot will put me back in pain so that I can hardly put my foot down.

Good luck to you. It is certainly not fun but if you can find shoes that support your heel and arch you can begin to heal. BTW, I refused the surgery as I was afraid that it would either not help or make it worse.

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a second opinion maybe from a podiatrist.

6. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

Suggest you learn to do the proper stretching exercises. If your doc doesn't have a handout of them, contact a Physical Therapist. Then buy a pair of Spenco Orthotic Arch Supports, take them to the shoe store & but some New Balance tennis shoes. Best to do stretches before getting out of bed in the am.

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Had this really bad in the past also. Doc and foot doc agreed, anti inflamitory twice a day, stretching arches of foot on a can of bush beans LOL and NO barefoot ever except you know shower and bed time. I am also told that skinny gals seldom get this? Must be all my fat putting pressure on my feet. I also got a good pair of walking sneakers and a zillion pair of crocs which i will not be without in the future if i can help it. They litteraly saved me from chopping off my own feet! sis

8. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I had this two summers ago. I found a pair of REALLY sturdy shoes and bought a pair of insoles at the runners shop. It took wearing those shoes from the moment I got up each morning until I fell into bed every night for 6 months, but one morning I realised it didn't hurt & it hasn't hurt since. I would try the good shoes, insoles first!

9. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

I've just been diagnosed with the condition. My left foot is painful as can be for awhile and then fine for a while. Mostly painful though. My podiatrist showed me the stretching excercises, and I occasionally still use the cloth tape to tape support my foot. That really helps keep everything tight and in proper shape, but it gets uncomfortable about midday.
    I am currently trying those orthotics they sell on the TV infomercial called WalkFit. Got mine about half price over ebay. They do help relieve the heel pain most of the time, but still occasionally have bouts of severe pain.

I never wear shoes in the house, haven't since I can remember. After reading this thread so far, I may try wearing shoes in the house to see if it helps.

10. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I had it pretty bad about 4 years ago. The stretches are great and I bought some little arch supports that your attach with velcro... I believe that they were called FABS. Didn't look like much but they really helped.
    Also, you have to figure out a way to keep you feet flexed at night when you sleep. As you fall asleep, your feet relax and the toes fall so that you are pointing your toes. This position allows the tendons to try to heal in the shortest position. When you wake up and get out of bed, your feet go to the flexed position ( makes the tendon stretch longer) and you have ripped loose everything that healed in the night... That is why it hurts so bad first thing in the morning when you get up and it takes so long to get this condition healed up.
    I turned around and slept with my feet against the head board so they couldn't fall down. Also managed to sleep sort of on my tummy with the toes of my feet hanging off the side..... it was a hard thing to figure out but I couldn't rig up any kind of a brace that I could sleep in.
    Next-- I taped my feet every day. Use wide athletic tape. I pointed my toe as straight as I could-- like a ballerina. I placed at least 3 strips of tape from the ball of my foot just behind my toes, across the arch and all the way up the back of my heel. (Dang --this is hard to describe...) Kinda spread it out so that the strips are not right on top of each other.
    Anyway, when I released the point and stood up, you can really feel the taped pull aross the arch and help with support. There was a web site with really good pictures of how to tape up. That was 4 years ago and I can't seem to find it now.
    Dr.Scholls are a joke and do not offer near enough support with PF. I bought really good support inserts and I ca go barefoot today but I am really leary of it. I never want to go thru that again!
    Every one that know that has had the surgery ( and laughed at me and my tape and FABS) doesn't get around nearly as well as I do and they still seem to suffer with foot pain to some degree.
    Tana Mc

11. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

I had it so bad I was ready to go for surgery but my chiropractor suggested this to try first:
    Take a golf ball and with as much pressure as you can comfortably stand, roll it under your foot, right in front of your heel, back and forth mostly, for 10 minutes, twice a day. I rolled it back and forth along the entire arch area. In less than1 week, I had NO pain at all. It's been about 5 months and twice I have felt a twinge of it coming back - one treatment with the golf ball fixes it right up. He said it breaks up the adhesions along the tendon and also stretches it out too. I also did a little of the leg stretching too.
    My DH works with a guy that has it and tried this and it worked for him. Give it a chance before you get surgery.

12. kevyb

kevyb Well-Known Member

you can buy the soft braces to put on your feet at night to hold them in a flexed position from "footsmart". i found them on the internet and had them send me their free catalogue. they have all kinds of things to help painful feet and comfortable shoes in wide sizes.
    i sleep angled just enough so that one foot lays on it's side and i hang my other heel over the edge of the bed. for some reason, even when the bottoms of my feet don't hurt, the backs of my heels always hurt if they lie against the mattress.

13. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

I got this condition after breaking my ankle in 1986. Dummy me decided to take up walking to lose weight I gained after the ankle injury. According to my orthopedist, the way the road was crowned put a strain on my arch. I was told never to do milage on the road but stick to grass . I found that water arobics helped my feet and I am careful to buy shoes with good arch supports. I have been feeling a little tenderness in my arch and heel the last couple of days so I might try the golf ball trick.
    Linda

14. tn_junk

tn_junk Living Simply

Had this real bad for about 18 months a few years ago. Dr. talked about surgery for me also. I went to a massage therapist who worked on my feet once a week for a month and a half. Also did the rolling on a can and golfball trick. Problem gradually went away and haven't had any trouble since then. I do make sure that I buy high quality shoes with good arch supports and I do use gel insoles.
    I would try a LOT of things before I let them cut on me!

galump

15. Tiffin

Tiffin Well-Known Member

DH has relief with Birkenstock shoes. He won't do the exercises. He also has Birkenstock clogs for inside the house.

16. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

Sisterpine, skinny people get it too! I am 115 and have bouts of it on and off. It mainly hurts in the mornings when I get up. Surgery is NOT an option around here even if I couldn't walk! No insurance. I am going to give the golf ball treatment a try!

Sherry in GA

17. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

There is an ultrasound treatment for PF that is very successful. (I was part of a control group for the FDA study, but had to withdraw because I had gall bladder surgery and was taking pain meds.)

Call around to the podiatrists in your area, see if you can find someone who does the procedure.

I'd do just about anything to avoid surgery, though I know the pain can be tremendous from the condition itself. Try ice, taping, flexing, stretching... One exercise that helped me a lot was standing on the edge of a stair (facing upstairs) with my heels hanging over the edge. Lift up on your toes to a count of 10, then down to a count of 10.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Hope you're better soon!

Pony!

18. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I echo Tana Mc's experiences, and I too would try everything else possible before resorting to surgery. If you're a runner or even a walker, you need to manage impact - no concrete surfaces, good impact-absorption shoes, supportive inserts, etc. But stretching out the tendon is really the long-term solution. You MUST figure out a way to flex the affected foot while you're sleeping. I was too cheap to get one of the night-cast thingies, and simply trained myself to sleep with my right foot flexed. It worked COMPLETELY and I haven't had a problem in a couple of years (despite continuing to run a lot). The cast might be easier for most people, though, and I would really give that a try. Good luck!

19. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I am on my 4th set of orthotics in the last 8 or 10 years, and they have made a world of difference. It's the 4th pair because I broke the first ones, and have worn out subsequent pairs. I wear Birkenstock sandles around the house, barefoot hurts after a bit. I have had to be more careful with getting shoes that fit properly and have room for the orthotics--found a style of Rockports that work well FOR ME, and buy them whenever I can find my size, and can afford them. Also found that some styles of other shoes work well for me. I did try cortisone at first, not much help.

For ME, orthotics, excercise, and being careful has made a world of difference.

I assume that you have seen a podiatrist, not just a generalist??

20. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I had it for a year until the day i actually listened to a different nurse practioner who said ALWAYS wear a good pair of shoes.

I bought a pair of merrals - slide on ones with cozy fur lining and i use those
    for slippers around the house and to run to the mailbox, etc. After i started
    wearing good shoes all the time, i had no more problems at all.

The only time i don't have something on my feet is like someone else said - bathing, sleeping and if i put my feet up on the couch - when my feet are on the floor/ground, they have something on them.

My BIL has it now and i gave him this advice and he has yet to take it and is still in a lot of pain and he said he too like to go barefoot alot.