Plant your garden now in the north

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by john#4, Feb 9, 2005.

1. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Its that time of year, every one is thinking of ordering seed and getting in the garden after a long winter.
    Will you don’t have to wait, you can plant your garden now.

Do you really need a greenhouse? Chick out the winter sowing of seed. Go down the list there are many articles that tell times to plant, what to plant.
    Good luck
    John#4

Here's a direct link to a search for Winter Sowing topics
    http://search.gardenweb.com/search/?term=Winter+Sowing

Click on the Winter Sowing FAQ link first. Lots of really good info there.

2. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

You will find this link fascinating and informative. And it does work.
    At the least it will cut down on your greenhouse heat, witch will save you money.
    John#4

3. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

John- thank you for such an informative link. I am really looking forward to trying this! And for anyone who goes there, as John suggested, be sure to check out the FAQ's- great articles there.

4. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

John, tell me what you think of this idea:

I have a large window with a wooden frame. I also have a large plastic pool that the window fits nicely on top of. If I make slits in the pool, fill it with dirt, sow my seeds in there and then put the window on top of the pool, do you think that would work? The only problem is with making holes in my lid. Maybe I could drill some holes through the wood frame? The window is large but is divided into 4 sections, so there are some wooden cross pieces that I could drill holes into. Or maybe I'd just be better off with some heavy plastic covering the top? I'm thinking with a planter this large, I could just put it down next to my garden site and then I would have everything conveniently located. And I wouldn't have to worry about it blowing away.

Let me know your thoughts!!

5. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Leah,

I have done what you were proposing with disguarded kiddie pools for years. It works really well and you can keep super rich soil in it. I keep mine covered with a double layer of remay (floating row cover) weghted down by bricks. As the season progresses the cover keeps critters and bugs out too. I've even overwintered stuff in it too, hardy greens, onions and leeks to name a few.

PQ

6. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Leah,

I don’t think I would use the pool. If you put out tender seeds, tomato, sqush, cucumber Etc. and they were up, and a freeze was coming it would be hard to move. Put your seeds in flats, pots where if you had to move them, just pick them up. As per the artical.
    I took the last year I gardened, in the fall I worked up the ground moved my trellis where I wonted it. Dug my furrow, and mulched it. After the ground froze hard, I planted peas and coved with potting soil. They came up and were the best peas I ever had.
    Had my tomato plants freeze one year to the soil line. All but 3 came back and boy did they produce.
    Will I hope this helps,
    John#4

7. thefarm

thefarm Well-Known Member

[ :) When I first read the link I said to myself ya right... I live in Maine with lots of snow and ice..LOL Brenda