Plant propagation for fun/profit

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dk_40207, Jun 9, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

I ned help from some seasoned propagators. I have been giving serious concideration to trying to do this on a very small scale this year, and see if we would like to expand in the next few years.

We have printed off numerous pamphlets on taking cuttingd, etc...but I feel that they leave a few things out..

First...after your soft-wood cuttings have rooted in the sand...what do you do with them over he winter? People aren't buying this stuff in August...so ow do you get them to survive until spring planting? Hoop-house? Sunken induvidual pots?

Also, with seed grown perinnials like coneflower, holly hocks, rose of Sharon, etc Would I go ahead and start flats of those, then put in induvidual pots and over winter them? I haven't found a lot if info on this aspect of growing to sell.
    I know that people want to but large, well established perinnials...but I just can't seem to find the best way to do this.... :shrug:

We are wanting to build a greenhouse for our own seed starting in January/Febuary.....but don't know if we need to heat it and how...

Thanks for any insight/information you all can give us!! :help:

Christina and Derek

Zone 6 Indiana

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

One of the easiest and fastest ways to do that is to buy started plants from growers that supply perennials in cell paks. They already have good roots and just need to be potted up into larger containers. I have a hoophouse that I got from a company called.....Hoophouse. Cheap and easy to put up. It was delivered on a truck to where I work and I put it in my pickup truck to bring home. It had everything except the plywood or T1-11 for the end walls and the 1x4's for the top. I built it in a weekend. Probably took eight hours total. I don't heat mine. The cheapest, easiest way to heat them is with propane, if you must. But heating uninsulated space through the winter isn't cheap. Roots grow best when the soil is less than 40 degrees anyway. Starting seeds requires warming the soil though. Once you get perennials growing in your yard you can start many of them by division. Like Daylillies. The best perennials to grow are the ones you like the most. You'll find that others like them too and if yours look good displayed then others are willing to buy them. Send me a PM and I'll send you an address or two of suppliers.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a free site with a news letter by Mike Mcgroaty that covers what you want to do.
    Go to -
    www.freeplants.com